Skip to main content

Justice and Mercy

The end of a semester always gives me a chance to think about theology!  That is meant partly as a flip comment and partly it is an honest reflection on the process of being a religion professor who, therefore, thinks about things in theological terms.  What I would like to do in these few paragraphs is lay out my life in both of those worlds---my life as a teacher and my life trying to be a guy on a spiritual path with God.

One of the things about teaching that I have struggled with for decades now is the whole grading thing.  Although most folks likely seeing grading as the means of evaluating students, I choose to see them as different, but related.  I actually operated under a system once in which we did not give grades.  We agreed we did not philosophically agree with grades.  But then I watched the group decide we had to figure out who passed and who did not.  Furthermore, we felt like we wanted to honor somehow those who did well.  I laughed because effectively we created our own system of grading without calling it that!  And so, I am resigned for the time being to A, B, C and so forth.

I am more intrigued about evaluation.  A key issue for evaluating is deciding what you want to evaluate.  Do you want to evaluate ability to memorize details?  We could approach evaluation in many ways.  I am most interested in what students learn and how they have learned to think.  As with most things, students are not all equal in the beginning.  Some already have fairly well-developed skills.  Others are nearly at 0 and anything advanced is huge.  Which should get an A?  

As I near the end of the semester, I already think I can evaluate fairly well whether students have learned.  But I also want to be “fair” when I read their papers and whatever else I assign.  Fairness is a measure of justice.  Sometimes justice is a matter of equality and that is easier to measure.  Fairness requires some judgment and then justification.  Faculty talk about being objective and that surely is laudable.  But I am not sure I can park all my biases when I am reading a paper.  

On the surface, every student wants me to be fair.  But then I have to deal with those who finally realize they don’t want fairness.  They want me to “give” them something, if they were honest, they likely know they don’t deserve.  If I have been lazy, had problems, etc., I may actually not be able to do very well.  For me to be just---to give them what they deserve---will be bad news to them.  They wanted an A, and I gave them a C.  It even gets picky.  I give them an A- and they are bent out of shape, since they felt like they deserved an A!

In fact, they really want mercy.  Mercy, like grace, is a gift.  Mercy means that we actually are treated better than we actually deserve.  It is the second chance, a new start---all those ways of describing this phenomenon.  I certainly am capable of mercy.  In fact, I sometimes think I am too quick to be merciful.  And that is the rub.  When do I stay with simple justice and when do I move to mercy as more appropriate than justice was in the moment?

This is where it is easy to move to theology.  Thinking in terms of analogy, God now becomes the professor!  And life is like our semester.  I realize in my own life, I am near the end of the semester.  Finals are coming and I will be given my life’s grade.  There is some anxiety, since I know I have not been perfect.  Will God be just with me?  Or is there any reason for hoping there may some mercy in store for me?  Now I feel very much like the student!

Let’s develop this further.  In the first instance, this scenario assumes there is a final reckoning.  I will get a final grade and you will, too.  Traditionally for Christians, these final grades are talked about as heaven and hell.  “Will you make it or not,” becomes a loaded question.  If God operates purely in terms of justice, I may be in trouble if heaven is my aspiration.  I find myself hoping for---or pleading for---mercy.  “Have mercy on me, O Lord,” is language of the Psalms that I understand and appreciate.  I know many folks think in these terms.  And those who have a particular theology feels pretty sure they are going to get the A---heaven is guaranteed.  I am not in the camp.

In fact, I think maybe the semester of life is not configured that way.  What if God is actually a much better professor than I am?  And what if God is working in a system that makes much more sense than my system?  Can I imagine a situation in which it is not justice vs mercy?  I have a feeling that God is evaluating more than God judging.  Maybe it is not actually a passing/failing life we are living.  

I have a sense that mercy is the bottom line, since I do believe that God is love.  God is always love; that is God’s nature and God can’t be anything other than loving.  Mercy is love in action.  And mercy is often at work trying to get us who are lacking and falling short to learn and grow and become more loving.  

And the most merciful thought of all.  Heaven is not something we get to; we are already in it.  Mercifully, we are all already in it.  We just have a great deal to learn in order to start living lives befitting heaven.  Justice is the loving work necessary to grow us all into heavenly beings.  That’s good news!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri