Skip to main content

Wise Words from a Friend

I am still pretty active in my college and beyond.  That means a fair amount of reading and thinking.  I also am curious by nature, so I am usually open to a conversation or something that may seem extraneous to my own interests.  For example, I routinely read some business articles and occasionally a business journal.  I have an interest in neuroscience, although that is tough going.  I am not trained as a scientist, so the language and scientific developments can be tough to follow.  That is why I also like attending presentations made in my own field of religion and spirituality.

Recently, I was a part of such an event.  A friend of mine, Kathleen Deignan, was speaking about Thomas Merton, my favorite dead monk.  I have known Kathleen for a while.  She is a nun, but one of the most lively, engaged and stereotype-blowing nuns I have ever met!  She belongs to the Sisters of Notre Dame, but she has been teaching at Iona College, near New York City for four decades.  

I was intrigued what she was going to tell me about Merton and another favorite of mine, The Cloud of Unknowing, an anonymous fourteenth century text talking about contemplative spirituality.  I should add that Merton was also part of a contemplative religious community.  I have read about and tried to live contemplatively for quite some time.  I even teach a class on that subject.  So I was all ears.

The first thing she mentioned about both Merton and the Cloud (I’ll call it that, since we don’t know who wrote it) was their energy.  Probably something most folks don’t think about monks is their energy.  We likely have a stereotype of them as quiet, reserved, other-worldly people who are slightly out of touch with normal reality.  In my experience this is almost never true of any monk.  I assume Merton and the Cloud were no exception.  

However, what they do have is energy.  I am willing to believe the energy derives, in part at least, from the Spirit.  I like to think about the Spirit as a form of energy.  I liked how Kathleen described them when she said, “their energies vibrate.”  I would like to think that authentically spiritual folks vibrate with their own form of spiritual energy.  We vibrate with energy when we are connected to the deep energy Source of the Universe, who is God.  And if God is love, then surely God is energy and energetic.  We all know that to be in love is to be energized.

The second thing I want to bring from Kathleen’s presentation is her quip that both men are “mystics of the Anthropocene.”  I realize this is an obscure word that might put off people.  But it is an important concept.  Anthropocene is a term that refers to a particular geological age.  It is the current geological age.  Geology is one way to look at the entire time of our earth---some thirteen or fourteen billion years old.  A little research tells me the “current epoch is called the Holocene, which began 11,700 years ago after the last major ice age.”  The Anthropocene age is either the next period after the Holocene or it is the latest phase of the Holocene.

As you might guess from the word, Anthropocene has the word “human” in it (Anthropos in Greek).  In effect Anthropocene is a way of saying human activity has affected our earth itself.  It links to the concern over climate change and environmental polluting that humans are doing.  When Kathleen talks about Merton and the Cloud being “mystics,” she is saying they are witnesses to an alternative way of living and relating to our earth.  They are prophetic in their approach to life which is healing and not hurting.  That appeals to me.  As I have grandkids who likely will live till 2100, I want this earth to provide for them and be a hospitable “home,” as it has been for me.  If I am a homewrecker, then I need to stop!

For both Merton and the Cloud, this way of living is called contemplative.  That word is not necessarily special, but the way of life is special.  A contemplative life is one of awareness and care---being careful.  It is paying attention to things in a way that is mindful,  If I am mindful, then I have a good chance of seeing how I am potentially hurting the earth and others.  I have instead a chance to become a healer.  For Kathleen and me, this includes God, whom we assume is in it with us.  

We have to be careful of distractions.  Both Merton and the Cloud were trying to live attentively---attentive to the Spirit in their own lives and in the lives of others.  As I survey our contemporary world, I see people who often are paying little or no attention.  Eyes are more likely glued to a computer or cell phone.  We spend a great deal of time competing---if I can win, I am sorry you’ll probably lose.

Love your neighbor seems to have little appeal.  Just look at our news on a nightly basis.  Too often it is murder and mayhem, instead of miracle and magic.  That’s life in the Anthropocene age.  I agree we need prophets, mystics and leaders to help us get to a better place.  I don’t want to say to my grandkids, “I’m sorry.”  And I doubt they will read Merton or the Cloud, so I will bring them my version of their message.  

It is thanks to the wise words from a friend.  Gracias!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri