Skip to main content

Freedom is Only Part of the Story

I am fortunate to be involved in a number of very interesting conversations.  Sometimes I go into a conversation knowing it is going to be a good one and other times I did not see it coming at all.  Such was the case recently.  I was with a number of folks I like---a group of Quakers.  I am used to Quaker gatherings where there is no “program,” no particular agenda.  Often nothing remarkable is shared.  But sometimes, the comments are thoughtful.  My recent experience was a mixture of the two.  What I took from it was a thematic focus.

The focus was the idea of freedom.  Of course, that is a common idea.  Almost everyone I know would claim to know what freedom means.  I would agree that folks do have a general idea about freedom.  But I also think freedom is a pretty complex idea and that it has some nuance that perhaps the general public does not recognize.  To this point, I suspect most folks would define freedom as the ability to do what you want.  So let’s start with that definition.

No doubt, most of us want this kind of freedom.  It is nice when we get to do things we want to do.  Not many people want to be forced to do something we don’t want to do.  I am sure we have been in those situations.  Certainly, there was some of that as a kid.  Growing up on the farm, I “had” to do things I did not want to do.  Most of the time, we do these things—but with some grumpiness.  It did not kill me, but I still did not want to do it.

As I pursue this line of thinking, I also am aware I sometimes do it to myself.  I don’t need someone else forcing me.  For example, in most cases of delayed gratification, we are postponing a present preference for some imagined better end goal.  Working with college students, I see this all the time.  In the moment they would rather be hanging out with friends, playing on the computer.  Instead, they study so they can get a good grade and a good job.  At one level, they really don’t want to do it, but they accept their own advice that it is good for them that they study.

Thinking further about freedom leads me to conclude in society, freedom is usually seen as a political issue.  America is the “home of the free and the land of the brave,” as the saying goes.  For the people I know, this means other countries cannot come in here and tell us what we have to do.  We fought a Revolutionary War to get rid of England so we could be free and self-determining.  That’s the party line I was taught.  Now we like the English and British, but we still don’t want them here in this country telling us what to do.  We prefer “being free.”

This logic makes sense to folks like me.  But then, I also know some folks who are just like me.  I have African American friends who have not always felt so free.  Young guys in their cars after dark are especially wary of being stopped by the police.  They worry about things I don’t even think about because my skin color is not black.  They are not as free as I am.  In that vein we also know women generally make about 70% what men make for the same kind of work or even the same job.  They are not free to earn what they are worth.   

Since spirituality is an important aspect of my life, I realize that freedom takes on a different tone in the spiritual context.  In my theology there is no doubt that God created human beings with a great deal of freedom.  But I also recognize freedom can have its limitations.  One big one is no one is free not to die.  Simply saying, “I don’t want to die,” has no bearing on whether I will die.  This one feels more like predestination than freedom.  Furthermore, when I think spiritually, I also believe freedom has some boundaries.  For example, two people in a relationship cannot have absolute freedom to do whatever they want to do.  One person’s freedom can cancel out another’s freedom.  

Now that I am in the spiritual realm, I go to what is a key issue for me, namely, community.  Community is important in the major spiritual traditions.  Community is how we talk about our life together.  Community includes individuals, but it cannot survive individualism, if by that everyone gets to do whatever he or she wants to do.  My balancing word for that is responsibility.  Healthy communities and good teams need responsibility as much as they need freedom.  Responsibility is other-centered, just as for Americans, freedom is self-centered.  Those two must exist in balance.

Responsibility means I put my own self-interest aside for the sake of community.  I am willing to say that freedom is only part of the story.  Responsibility is the rest of the story.  If I were to offer a critique of contemporary American society, I think we are more concerned with freedom than we are responsibility.  We are worried more about me than us.  Oh, it is easy enough to worry about “us,” if “us” is only the folks who look like us.  

Spiritually, we recognize and accept that “us” includes everyone in the human race.  If I thought this way, some of the issues that we discuss under the rubric of freedom would have to be addressed differently.  I think of issues like guns, borders and the like.  I also realize issues like this become political first and, perhaps, only the spiritual.  And when that happens, the story gets told in a different way. 

Wistfully, I wonder how Jesus would tell the American story of freedom---if he were around?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri