Skip to main content

Rainbows

Whenever we have a rain, I check the sky for any sign of a rainbow.  Most of the time, I am disappointed.  I have never done any research to learn when are rainbows more likely.  I am sure there are predicting factors, but I don’t know what they are.  Obviously, rainbows are more likely in the summer.  When it is cold or even snowy, I don’t bother to look for rainbows.  I can guess rainbows are more likely when it has been hot and humid.    

The most recent one I saw appeared very clearly in the eastern sky.  I am sure I have seen them in all directions, but this recent one appeared after a pop up heavy rain.  That meant the sun soon appeared in the western sky and illuminated the rain drops still falling to the east.  The rainbow was brilliant---radiant in its colors.  Every time I see a rainbow, I want to stop and appreciate the sight.  Since it is a natural phenomenon, I can’t say it is magical, but it seems so.    

While I appreciate the rainbow as a natural phenomenon, I also thought about the symbolic function that rainbows have played throughout the ages of humankind.  If anyone has acquaintance with the Old Testament (or Hebrew Bible, as many prefer to call it now), we know about the rainbow.  I am sure this was one of the early stories I learned and valued in my Sunday School days.    

In the Hebrew Bible, the rainbow became a symbol for the covenant between God and God’s chosen people.  A covenant is a relationship that is grounded in a promise.  In the case of the promise between God and the people, the promise is fulfilled in commitment.  God commits to be the God of the people as long as they obey---that is, stay faithful.  And the people commit to stay faithful---that is, commit to maintain their end of the relationship.  The deal was blessings would ensue if the relationship were maintained and curses would follow if the relationship were broken.  And the story of the prophets is the story of prophets---folks called by God---to speak to a people who had gone astray.  

In Genesis 9 God made a special covenant with Noah.  This is one of the earliest covenants discussed in the Old Testament.  This covenant with Noah came after Noah and his family survived the flood.  Indeed, Noah is remembered and celebrated in Jewish and Christian history for his faithfulness.  While all the rest of the people had fractured the relationship with God, only Noah held firm.  The story of the ark is one of the favorites of kids everywhere.  Let’s look at the detail of that covenant.  

The story begins with words from God.  “Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, ‘As for me, I am establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the domestic animals, and every animal of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark.  I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.’” (9:8-11)  

In the old times, it was not unusual for a sign to be given as a seal or kind of token of the pledge or promise made.  It is a bit like a married couple exchanging rings at their wedding.  At one level, the rings are just jewelry.  At another, more important level, the rings symbolize commitment, love, etc.  So it is with the rainbow given as a token of the Divine promise.  Hear what God says.  

“God said, ‘This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.  When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.” (9:12-13)  To symbolize that commitment on God’s behalf, God continues, “When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.’” (9:16)  

Since I know the story of Noah and rainbows, I think about God whenever I see the rainbow.  And I take heart.  As I think about our world today and how crazy it is in some ways, I am glad rainbows still appear.  It would be easy to become cynical.  There are plenty of reasons for cynicism, even for people who are well off---including me.  There are random school bombings, wars, climate issues, pollution and the list can go on.  Most of these are associated with the wackiness of humans---earlier called sin.  

It would be easy to wonder why God would still care.  Are we any better than the folks in Noah’s day?  Of course, most of us who assume we are much better.  I am convinced there still is enough sinfulness to cause God to raise a divine eyebrow.  But God has committed to rainbows. Rainbows are a sign of hope.  

When I see the rainbow, I see hope in all its colors.  I think about God’s love and commitment.  I think about my duty to be in relationship---not only with God but with all God’s people.  It is a tall order, to be sure.  But the alternative is bleak.  Rainbows speak to me of hope and healing.  That is much better than hurting and hell.  

Thank God for rainbows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri