Skip to main content

Mission and Identity

Those who know me, know I like sports.  I played sports in school and long after school was history for me.  My two daughters played sports and I loved that almost as much as playing myself.  I have been involved in watching and supporting college sports for a very long time and don’t plan to give it up any time soon.  I will put up with professional sports, but I don’t like them as much as the younger kids and college athletes.  Of course, that leaves aside the elite athletic programs that rake in millions on their men’s basketball and football programs.  I will save that tirade for some other time!

“March Madness,” as the annual big-time fling for college basketball is called, is a sports’ junkie’s heaven.  I know it inevitably involves many of those big-time programs that I just dissed.  But there are other good stories that come from it and I want to share one of those stories, because it has lessons beyond sports, which I want to develop.  The story comes from the pen of Michael Murphy, who is a director of a Catholic Intellectual Heritage Center at Loyola University in Chicago, a Jesuit institution.

Loyola has had some very good basketball teams over the years.  But they probably are more widely famous for Sister Jean of the Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary religious order.  She is the one-hundred-year-old nun who sites courtside in a wheelchair and cheers on the team.  In fact, she is the team chaplain!  What intrigued me about Murphy’s article was not its focus on his university’s successful basketball team, but what he chose to give focus.

Basically, what Murphy concentrates on is the issue of culture.  This intrigues me because I have written a fair amount about culture.  He wants to chart a connection between the basketball culture and the Jesuit culture of the university, which ties in Catholic philosophy of education.  In the larger picture he gives me ideas about how spirituality in general should create a culture to counter the secular culture we all grow up in this country.  In fact, the Loyola basketball team finished the 2018 season in the “Final Four,” meaning they were one of four teams at the end who were vying for the national championship.  The slogan of that team was “created by culture.”  

I don’t want to be cynical, but rather try to mine whatever nuggets of insight I can get from this story.  One direction Murphy heads that I appreciate is in the direction of discernment.  I know how important discernment is in the Jesuit tradition.  Discernment is what spiritual folks do when they are seeking God’s desire in some matter.  It is what spiritual directors help us do.  For Quakers we suggest a clearness committee—a group of folks who sole purpose is to help is find God’s desire for some issue.

I like Murphy’s way of putting it.  He says, “In discernment, we locate the right path against the allure of so many others; and we find that the beacons of faith and reason (and ethics and justice) exist precisely in order to help locate the best way forward.”  Rightly, he sees the role of faith and reason that Jesuits so consistently use.  In effect, he says Jesuits use both their brains and their hearts---reason and faith.  That seems sensible to me.  

Murphy then quotes the Loyola coach who talks about a “right way” to do things.  Murphy opines that the right way creates a culture.  He adds, “In short, doing things in the right way is a philosophy; and philosophies both create cultures and, in return, are sustained by them.”  I would agree.  I also think Quakers create a culture by doing it “their way,” which I trust is also a right way.  Other groups do it their way and our secular culture does it its way.  But not all cultures lead to God, wisdom and the good life, which I envision to entail a commitment to love and justice.

Murphy does many other things, but he comes to a point that is huge for me.  He suggests that a culture embodies both the mission and identity of an organization.  I believe he is correct.  Identity and mission are basic to both individuals and communities.  They are perspectives on who am I and where am I going in life.  Culture binds a bunch of individuals into a community (a team, if you will) which head in the same direction.  If it is a spiritual community---Quaker, Jesuit or otherwise---we know who we are and we know we are headed into relationship with God.

And we know that relationship with God implies a relationship with each other in the community and with every other living human on the planet.  Furthermore, it implies a relationship with all of God’s creation---which leads to appropriate eco-sensitivity and action.  In other words, we are against personal sin and ecological sin.  

Culture is like the air we breathe.  It is the assumptions we make about our life and work together.  If culture is the air we breathe, it is not a difficult move to link it to the Spirit.  In all the classical languages, spiritus is translated “wind, air or breath.”  A spiritual culture shapes our identity and forms our mission.  That is exciting and it is life-giving.

It is where I want to be to do things the right way around here.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri