Skip to main content

Helped by a Buddhist

While I have been clear I locate myself within the Christian tradition and, more specifically, the Quaker piece of that tradition, it does not mean I am not open to help from other major traditions.  To the contrary.  I have been given insight, encouragement and advice from many of the traditions.  Quickly, I can think of Abraham Joshua Heschel’s amazing range of work on the prophets, prayer and many other topics.  When I travelled in India, I spent a fair amount of time with the Sikh community and found them wonderfully hospitable and communally focused.

It was with this background I recently read some things by the well-known American Buddhist, Pema Chodron.  She was describing life in our American culture and how the Buddhist perspective and practice can be a real help in the midst of the chaos and confusion that often characterizes current life.  Let me share a few tips from the Buddhist sister, if I may.  

I like the way she talks about what I will call the frenzy of our lives.  Maybe folks who are retired escape this, but I am not even sure about that, as I listen to my friends who are retired.  Perhaps the lazy ones escape frenzy, but I wonder if laziness itself is not a form of frenzy?  We claim we are looking for happiness, satisfaction and other laudable things like that.  I am certainly not against happiness and satisfaction, but I am not confident most people know how to find these---long term anyway.  Chodron speaks to this when she says, “We keep moving around seeking pleasure, seeking comfort, and the satisfaction that we get is very short-lived.”

She describes this kind of predicament as a place of stuckness.  Since we feel like we are moving around and moving on, it is surprising to hear we might be stuck.  This is a big deal.  Listen to her advice.  “The process of becoming unstuck requires tremendous bravery, because basically we are completely changing our way of perceiving reality, like changing our DNA.”  I am a little leery when someone says it requires bravery.  Honestly, I don’t know that many of us are very brave.  We would like to think we are and, perhaps, pretend we are.  But bottom line I am less sure.  This is true for me, too!  

Probably because she feels the same way, Chodron next offers some tips how we might become brave enough to make some progress.  Like all good Buddhists, she opts for what is called the “Middle Way.”  In a spirituality context, this means avoiding extremes.  Some are prone to strict asceticism---which means discipline.  We even see this in our secular context when people go crazy with fasting, running, etc.  The other extreme is indulgence.  Indulgence can be things like food, smoking—anything that overly honors excess and too much.  I am encouraged when Chodron tells me, “The middle way encourages us to awaken the bravery that exists in everyone without exception, including you and me.”  

We can do this through some meditation.  If we are Christian, we might prefer prayer.  The key is to begin and to build a new habit.  Begin small.  Be willing to start again, if and when we fail.  She offers another helpful hint for me when she talks about “less desire.”  I know within Buddhism, desire is something to watch out for.  As a Christian, I argue desire is natural to being human.  Desire is nothing more than energy.  In itself, desire is not bad.  But it can take us bad places.  Desire can lead to attachments (and these are what Buddhists and Christians say are the problem and, sometimes, leads to addiction.  Talking about less desire is a way of encouraging us to monitor our desires.  We don’t always have go with what we desire.

Chodron moves to another theme when she describes contentment.  As I think about that word, contentment is related to peace and satisfaction.  People who are content are not frenzied; they are not chasing around many things.  I like Chodron’s reminder.  “When we have nothing, we have nothing to lose.” (4)  The more we have---materially or psychologically---the more we can worry about losing it.  She can help us learn to be content with where we are.  It does not freeze us in the moment; we can still grow and thrive.  But that need not be a frenzied quest.  This is related to another tip she offers: avoid unnecessary activities.  This might sound difficult for Americans.  Too often, we pride ourselves as master multi-taskers.  But that’s an illusion.  Scientists tell us multi-tasking is not mentally possible.  We are multi-switchers!

The last thing I share from Pema Chodron has to do with who we are---identity.  I recall many years ago reading psychologist Karen Horney, who talked about an idealized self.  Many of us don’t see ourselves realistically; we have an idealized self we imagine ourselves to be.  Chodron offers a relieving way out of this idealized trap, since that idealized self cannot possibly be.  Chodron says, “We can gradually drop our ideals of who we think we ought to be, or who we think we want to be, or who we think other people think we want to be or ought to be.”

Reading this allows me to breath out and find some hope that I can spend my time becoming the person God wants me to be.  After all, this is the person I also want to be.  It won’t be ideal, but a fully real, authentic self.  I won’t be perfect, but I will be perfectly acceptable---with the grace of God and understanding of others.  All this seems possible and now preferable.

Thanks to some help from a Buddhist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri