Skip to main content

Psychology of Service

I was going to call this inspirational piece the psychology of ministry, but I know that some people don’t like the word, ministry.  For some it is associated with the institutional church, which really gives them problems.  I also have in mind many of the young folks who sit in my classrooms.  It is still common to hear them say something about liking spirituality, but they don’t like religion.  Unfairly I believe, they link religion with the church, with doctrine or something like that.  They don’t always know what they are talking about, but I think that is true of many of us older ones, too!

Hence, I want to talk about the psychology of service.  I know our word, ministry, is rooted in the Latin word which means to serve.  So, I am getting what I want anyway!  My thoughts were provoked by something I read while doing some research for my new book.  What I read was actually a piece by Matthew Syed for folks who are interested in innovation and high performance.  These are two areas I have already written about in earlier books.  Syed is a British journalist.

At one point in his writing, Syed tells us, “As one psychologist put it: "According to conventional wisdom, highly successful people have three things in common: motivation, ability and opportunity….  “When I think about the business world, those three are not surprising.  It made me start thinking about what success might look like in the spiritual realm? 

And so, I want to drag this notion into the idea of ministry or service as performed by those of us in the spiritual or religious world.  I know one assumption I make is if we are a disciple, in the Christian sense, or a follower of one of the other major religious traditions, I believe there is a service component that comes along with the call.  If we believe, we serve.  That is my motto.  Syed quotes another psychologist who claims there are three ingredients: motivation, ability and opportunity.  I think these three translates into the spiritual realm, too.

I realize I can say I think those who believe need to serve, but I also realize they probably won’t do it unless they are motivated to do it.  Telling them they should does not mean they will do it.  Motivation for ministry comes from our intrinsic will to serve.  Perhaps we can make little kids do it and maybe some of us will do it for peer approval.  But I am talking about the longer term, often invisible ministry that so many are doing.  That comes from some place of intrinsic motivation to do what they are called to do.

Secondly, Syed mentions ability.  This can get a little tricky.  Sometimes we think ministry is appropriately left to the church professionals---perhaps the ordained or those blessed.  If we think that, we effectively take ourselves off the service hook!  I don’t see ability in that way.  Ability means we are able physically to feed the poor.  We are emotionally stable enough to spend some time with the lonely, helpless, etc.  We have average intellectual ability to engage discussions of justice and do something about our racial and economic inequalities.  I purposely am differentiating between serving and being successful.  Sometimes our service will look successful, but more often than not, our ministry is not judged that way.  For example, not everyone who visits the sick will heal them. 

The third factor Syed identifies is opportunity.  This comes across perfectly in a context of ministry.  Folks who serve are always on the prowl for opportunities the Spirit provides.  Sometimes I see another opportunity and know I cannot do it.  Or maybe I am not the best one to serve in that particular situation, so I might suggest someone else do it.  In addition to opportunity, Syed offers one more aspect.

He writes, “there is a fourth ingredient: success depends heavily on how we approach our interactions with other people.  Do we try to claim as much value [for ourselves] as we can, or do we contribute value?”  I believe this fourth one is crucial for ministry.  Our effectiveness is dependent on how we approach our relationships.  I always remember that ministry is service.  I am there to contribute value.  It does not matter what I am getting out of it.  Ministry should be compassion---an act of love.

It is not even up to be to dictate the value the other receives from my ministry.  I don’t do ministry to look good, feel good or any other motivation. I serve because I believe that is what the Spirit calls and expects me to do.  In this sense ministry is a matter of obedience, rather than being successful in any worldly sense.  My ministry may make no noticeable difference, but that is not the reason to do it.

I appreciate this look at what service includes.  Motivation, ability, opportunity and how we approach other people are key components.  I can see the traces of the Spirit’s presence in all four aspects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri