Skip to main content

Under Shelter

I am never as good at being spiritually disciplined as I wish.  Maybe that is to confess that I live in hope.  The hope is twofold.  The first hope is that being spiritually disciplined is itself a good thing.  Somehow it makes sense for life---at least for my life.  It is better than not being spiritually disciplined.  But that is always tempting---more by default than intention.  Amazingly after all these years, it is still too easy to forget, to get busy…whatever.  And I don’t do anything.  The second hope is that I can do better than I am doing now with my measly efforts. 

No doubt, this is partly why I like to visit and stay in monasteries.  The monastic life is wrapped around a daily schedule of worship and work.  Most of us have some kind of schedule---even folks who are retired often manage a de facto kind of schedule.  But it usually does not take seriously worship, certainly not the way the monks intend.  Clearly, we are not monks.  I am close enough to the monastic world, I am not sure I would make a very good monk.  But then, most monks I know say they aren’t very good either!  That’s why I like those guys and gals; they have a wonderful sense of humor.

Daily I try to touch base with the so-called liturgy of hours.  Traditionally, monks pray seven times a day.  This is in fulfillment of a passage in the Psalms which does instruct folks to pray seven times daily.  I am not going to manage that, except when I actually am at the monastery.  When I visit one, it is much easy to fall into the schedule that everyone else is doing.  The cool thing is a monk simply does not want to talk when the bell rings for the next stop in the monastic church for worship.  They might say they will have coffee a bit later.  But not now.

Monks seem less suckers for interruptions than I am.  I doubt that they are constitutionally better able to resist than any other human being.  It is that they have vowed to do what they said they wanted to do.  If you sign up for that style of living, then you go to worship when the bell sounds.  It might only be for fifteen minutes.  But they have prioritized it.  So they do it.  I still find that I experience some slippage between what I might say I want to do and what I actually do.  And I know on my own, it is harder.

One of the “offices,” as they are called, is compline.  Compline is the last one of the daily worship experiences.  Typically, in the monastery they monks gather one last time in the church for a chance to say thanks to God for the day and to pray for a safe night.  Usually Compline finishes with the last word and that leads into the Great Silence, which means the monks are not going to run off chattering.  They are ready for night, rest and the coming new day.  For the Trappists, who are serious about this thing, the next worship gathering is at 3:15 am!  They are not going to go out drinking into the wee hours of the night.

At Compline, like every other of the “offices,” there will be some selection from the Psalms.  I like this.  As a Quaker, we did not always use the Psalms.  Of course, like most kids, I learned “The Lord is my Shepherd” and not much else.  I did not really know there were 150 Psalms in the Psalter, as it is called.  Some of them are pretty long, some quite short.  So tonight, I turn to the first of the Psalms that is used.  It is Psalm 91.

That Psalm begins with these words, which are appropriate as we prepare for the night ahead.  It is a form of prayer.  “You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.” (Ps 91:1-2)  I can resonate with this theology.  In fact, I rather like addressing God as the Most High.  That is not so much a name, as it is a descriptor.  It has the benefit of not being gender-specific, like Father is. 

God as the Most High is a metaphor drawn from space.  It is the God “up there,” but the Psalmist is intentional.  The writer intends to talk about this Most High casting a shadow.  Since this is Compline, I assume the shadow is not really from the sun.  It is a shadow of protection.  In fact, the Psalmist shifts description of God to the Almighty.  This God is a God of power---capable of protecting us while we innocently sleep away the night. 

Since we will be vulnerable through the coming night, God will be there to protect us.  This enables us to sleep with a sense of security.  There is no need for worry or anxiety.  This Psalm actually refers to another Psalm in using two other images for God’s work: God provides refuge and is a fortress.  Again, the theme of safety is demonstrated.  In these kinds of times, that is a good message.

Spending just a little time in my own Compline is a nice way to finish the day and head to bed.  I know it is good for me and that I want to do it.  Now all it takes is a little discipline!  Maybe I should get an alarm bell.  When it rings, I lay aside whatever I am doing, spend some Compline time and go to bed.  All it takes is a little spiritual discipline.  I am hopeful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri