Skip to main content

Small Steps

In the summer of 1969, astronaut Neil Armstrong uttered a phrase that has become known worldwide.  Armstrong and his co-pilot, Buzz Aldrin, land the lunar capsule, Eagle, in the so-called Sea of Tranquility on the Moon’s surface.    In a footnote to history, Michael Collins remained on board Apollo 11.  Probably this is when the phrase, “the eagle has landed,” originated.  Armstrong makes history when he steps outside and takes a step on the lunar surface.  It was nearly 11:00pm Eastern Standard Time.  It is at that moment he says, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” 

I am old enough to remember that night.  I was in Indiana at a Quaker gathering.  But that night there were not really Quakers and all the rest.  I am not even sure there were only feelings of Americans.  Certainly, there was some pride in being an American and all that.  But the giant step for humankind, as Armstrong proclaimed, was not simply an American announcement.  It was global, inclusive and prophetic. It was a chance never to be the same.

In some ways that has become true.  The world has become smaller, thanks in part to the technology, which made the whole space mission possible.  But in other ways, humankind and Americans have fallen quite short of what that 1969 promise portended.  We have settled for far too little.  In too many ways, we chosen blindness to that ringing vision from outer space.  Instead of heeding the words, we ignored them and chose business as usual.  We have solved some problems, created other problems and kicked too many problems down the road.

I would call us back to the vision for humankind.  I am sure Armstrong knew exactly what he was going to say.  Maybe he was spontaneously brilliant, but that is such a good line, I suspect he (and others?) spent some time for precisely what he would speak to planet earth from a perch, from which no one had ever stood.  When you are on the moon, it is really difficult to discern who is an American and who is not.  It is impossible to identify African Americans, Asians and white folks.  I doubt that the male-female distinction is discernable from that visionary vantage point.

Doubtlessly, Armstrong knew what he was doing.  I cannot imagine what it felt nor what I might have blurted out.  That is probably why he had practiced and knew exactly what he would say.  It is so much more profound than “expletive deleted!”  He acknowledged what he had just accomplished---one small step for a man, namely, me.  He absolutely knew he was doing something no other human being had ever done.  But it was merely one step.  He landed the Eagle, stepped out and put one foot on the lunar surface---one step.

But that one step had tremendous symbolic significance.  Armstrong’s step was symbolically a step that all of humankind was taking.  While we knew in that Indiana auditorium that we were not on the moon taking our own step, nevertheless we all felt in some part that we also took the step that Armstrong took.  In that sense it was a giant leap.  I love his use of language.

Armstrong took a step.  Humankind took a leap.  Armstrong’s step was a small one.  He was bundled in the space suit, so he was not going to land and sprint down the lunar surface.  It was an awkward, halting kind of step, but it was a history-making move.  That dinky step symbolically pointed to all the potential leaps humans are capable to making.  In a way Armstrong was both affirming what was possible and challenging us to maximize that potentiality.

It could be read simply as a story of science and the success of science.  I am more than willing to read it that way.  But I argue, it was more than that.  It also was spiritual.  I see the Holy One as creative energy and love.  In that sense, the Divine One is always going out of itself.  We see this in creation and in the ongoing blessing of creativity in the world.  I understand evolution itself as God’s ongoing expression of love and the capacity of creativity.  Humans at our best imitate the Divinity.  The moon visit and walk symbolize that creativity, audacity and vision at its very best. 

We have continued to take small steps scientifically.  Some are truly mind-blowing.  But I am not sure we have done as much as we can spiritually.  There’s still too much parochialism, tribalism and narrowness.  Where there is discrimination, there is a lack of spirit.  We need to be careful and not take steps backwards.  I think we need the same kind of curiosity, courage and commitment that Armstrong and his two buddies took with them on that Apollo 11 trip.  No one would have done that alone.  Neither should we.

I see signs in our own times that spiritually we have a chance for another giant leap.  The times are right for unbelievable change.  But it will take curiosity, courage and commitment.  I pray that we get ready for that leap.  The times are ripe.  Let’s not allow the chance to rot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri