Skip to main content

Slow Train

Anyone who knows Bob Dylan may recognize the title of my inspirational piece also to be the title of Dylan’s 1979 song, Slow Train.  I certainly don’t know Dylan’s works like many people, but I can appreciate his talent and insight.  During our current times, I thought about the lyrics of his song.  I have no clue what he really intended or how he would mean the words, but here is how I choose to understand and apply them.  I want to quote him extensively.

The song opens with this line.  “Sometimes I feel so low-down and disgusted, can’t help but wonder what’s happenin’ to my companions.  Are they lost or found?”  We can ask many questions.  Who are his companions?  Are they his friends?  Let’s personalize it.  Who are my companions?  Is that simply another word for my friends?  Or can I widen it---broaden it?  If I am a person of faith, why can it not be global?  In the broadest sense, my companions are all the human beings on earth.  And if I am ecologically sensitive, it is even broader.  I like that stretching.

Dylan continues to reflect on his companions.  “Have they counted the cost it’ll take to bring down all their earthly principles they’re gonna have to abandon?  That is a powerful question which might make us squirm a little bit.  Have we counted the cost?  Human beings are pretty good at counting the cost.  Much of the time when I count the cost, I decide not to do something because I don’t want to change or lose out on something I have.  For example, we are rightly today hearing a great deal about white privilege.  It is so invisible to those of us who are white, it is easy not to feel privileged at all.

I don’t feel privileged, so my narrative goes.  Look at all those other folks who have so much more than I do.  They have bigger houses, more cars, swimming pools, take vacations and the like.  I get off the hook by allowing that I am comfortable, but I barely have anything more than the average person.  And by average, I mean all the others in the country and, maybe, the world.  This appeal to being average seems perfectly reasonable.  And it allows me to opt out of the current discussion that could cost more than I want to pay. 

The I read the refrain from Dylan’s song.  “There’s a slow, slow train comin’ up around the bend.”  For the purpose of this inspirational piece, I say that train is the change that is coming.  Contrary to Dylan’s song, the train may be gaining speed.  Change is coming and for those who don’t want to change, it is coming faster than they can imagine.  The lights are on and the bells are sounding. 

We pick up the theme in another stanza.  Dylan notes, “Man’s ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don’t apply no more.  You can’t rely no more to be standin’ around waitin.’”  Again, that pinches the privileged.  We clearly don’t think our ego is inflated.  In fact, if we did a survey, I am sure most people would say they are humble!  Just ask me!!  If you are like me, there is a gnawing suspicion that we do have laws that are outdated.  And it surely is clear, the laws we do have are not uniformly enforced.  Ask black young drivers of cars.  Again, Dylan’s refrain comes at us: “…there’s a slow, slow train comin’ up around the bend.”

Another stanza gets at the kind of thing I worry is true.  He takes on my kind of people.  “Big-time negotiators, false healers and woman haters.  Masters of the bluff and masters of the proposition.  But the enemy I see wears a cloak of decency.  All non-believers and men-stealers talkin’ in the name of religion.”  Whew!  Who would self-identify this way?  I only ask that to suggest no one would.  However, even I can identify others who might fit this description.  Many of us would point to politicians and some other easy targets.  And of course, we aren’t like that.  But “there’s a slow, slow train comin’ up around the bend.”

If you do a little research, you will learn that this song and three albums come from the period in which Dylan had embraced Christianity.  While I find all that fascinating, it is the lyrics which I wanted to pull out and use in our own time---with apologies to Dylan and his original intent.  They seem like a savvy look at our times and, particularly, at the way some of us may be seeing it.

I layer my own take on things to suggest the Spirit is moving in this time in some special ways.  The Greeks have a word for this kind of time: Kairos.  It is a special time, a time of Kairos.  It will be a creative time; it is a time of change and potential growth and development.  I pray that it can be a time of love leading to peace, instead of anger and hate leading to violence. 

It can parallel the kinds of times we associate with turning points in history.  I don’t want to rehearse the history, but rather embrace the mystery.  I want to be part of, be a participant and to celebrate newness in the making.  There’s a slow, slow train comin’ around the bend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri