Skip to main content

Seeing in a New Way

Some books are a treasure.  They are the ones to which I return, often many times, for inspiration and to be reminded of what I accept as true for me.  One of these books is by psychiatrist, Roger Walsh, called Essential Spirituality.  I don’t know Walsh, but I wish I did.  I found his book while looking for resources when I first thought about teaching a class in contemplative spirituality.  It is perfect for that, because Walsh offers numerous exercises to help us get started and sustain our contemplative journey.  When students appreciate a book, I know I have a winner.

Walsh divides his book into seven essential practices, as he calls them.  One of the practices is called “Awaken Your Spiritual Vision.”  Basically, this is about learning to see in a contemplative way.  Clearly most folks are not blind.  But many of us live our lives in blinded ways.  Even though we see, we don’t really “see.”  This is a spiritual way of talking about living robotically or sleepwalking though our lives.  “Going through the motions” is a common phrase that describes this lack of contemplative awareness.  I know it all too well.

The good news is we always have a choice.  No one is forcing us to be a robot.  Granted some jobs are more mindless than others.  To be sure, many of our days are pretty routine.  But I don’t mind routine.  I am a guy who typically will create routine where there is none.  I have done this many times when I travel.  If I am going to be in one place for a few days, I find that I am going back to the same coffee shop, walking the same path for exercise, etc.  But I don’t have to be a robot in the process.  I have a choice.

Living contemplatively is not gaining some secret about life.  It is not magical and often not even that mysterious.  For Walsh and myself, living contemplatively does mean coming into contact with the sacred.  I realize when I use a word like that, it might drag ideas and images of religion into the picture.  I am fine with that.  I simply switch to language of spirituality if folks are turned off by language of religion.  I think atheists can figure out a way to be spiritual. 

I thought it would be fun to latch on to a couple of Walsh’s suggestions about touching the sacred and give ourselves the opportunity to practice them if we choose.  As a lead into this idea, listen to these words from Walsh.  “To recognize the sacred is not so much to see new things as it is to see things in a new way.  The sacred is not separate or different from all things, but rather hidden within all things.” (201)  I agree with his sentiments.  To begin to become contemplative is to see things in a new way.

I appreciate Walsh immediately goes to the context of nature to illustrate seeing things in a new way.  He starts with something obvious.  “Find a place in nature that feels particularly appealing to you and give yourself sufficient time to enjoy it.” (202)  There are hidden gems here, but they are so obvious, we don’t see them.  Rather than suggest we go on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, Rome or Mecca, he humbly suggests we find a place that appeals to us.  For someone like Emily Dickinson, it was the garden right outside her house.  Others may head to the seashore or to the mountains.  What appeals to you?

The next suggestion is the sneaky one.  Give ourselves sufficient time to enjoy it.  That is so innocuous, we think it is something we already do.  But do we?  Give ourselves sufficient time.  Famously, Americans---maybe some Canadians are exceptions---are go-go people.  If you live in an urban area, this is often on steroids.  As long as you are able, rushing is the order of the day.  It reminds me of an old 1969 movie, “If this is Tuesday, this must be Belgium.”  The comedy makes fun of the American tourist who plans to see all of Europe in a couple weeks.  Too often, I live my life imitating an American tourist.

“Give yourself” is an interest suggestion.  I can’t do it for you.  Give yourself time.  This reminds me that time is not always just time.  We all know there are periods where time seems to slow down.  Athletes talk about things slowing down on the field as they get used to what’s going on.  Other times simply fly by, we claim.  Ask any graduating senior and you always hear the lament, “These four years went so fast.”  As first-year college students, they never think that will be true!

Finally, gift yourself sufficient time to enjoy.  That is such a powerful verb.  Enjoy.  There is a huge difference between doing something and enjoying doing it.  Take a few minutes to explore what happens to you when you “enjoy.”  No one enjoys a good meal if you gulp it down.  Most of us know what it is like to see things---sometimes in a blur---and not really “see” anything.

Some of learning to live contemplatively are to take this advice---in nature or anywhere---and give ourselves sufficient time.  We need to gift ourselves with enough time to get to the verb, to enjoy.  If I could switch to a different of the five senses, I would say to enjoy is like savoring.  We linger with the taste---we enjoy it. 

Contemplatives have learned to see in a new way.  We can all do it.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri