Skip to main content

In Passing

In many ways I think I have always been the type to pay attention to what is going on.  Of course, it is impossible to pay attention to everything.  At least this is true if we are living a “normal American life.”  What I mean by this kind of normal life is the “stuff” of our lives.  Surely, there are monks in our midst…and some of us even live more monkish that the average person.  I think there are times I fit this description.

But I also recognize I have a car.  I have a radio in the car, which is usually playing some kind of music or NPR as I drive along.  There is the whirr of the traffic.  I am paying attention, but I don’t lock on to every car coming at me, nor all the cars to my right and left.  I have a phone, email, and all the other technology.  When I am sitting in my study at school, folks can call me on the phone sitting on the desk or the cell phone sitting on the desk!

I do not paint this picture to condemn it.  In fact, it is a way of life that I have chosen.  It is not bad; but it does have warnings that should come with it.  It is these warnings that I would like to give some attention.  It is important occasionally to heed these warnings to avoid problems.

The problem, as I see it, is not life threatening.  I won’t die if I don’t give up the car, the computer, cell phone, and so on.  But without some undue attention, I may face a life-draining situation.  I can have all the “stuff” of a normal American life, but not have meaning.

One way I would like to examine this is with the phrase, “in passing.”  I use this phrase occasionally.  I hear other people use it.  As I think about it, I see it used in three ways.  Let’s look at each one of these in order to get perspective on gaining some meaning in life.

The first way people use the phrase, “in passing,” has to do with duration.  In passing typically indicates a short duration.  There is nothing lasting.  We hear it in a phrase like, “it was a passing fancy.”  Meaning and purpose in life will have duration.  If I am chasing something which becomes a passing fancy, there will be no meaning or purpose in that.

Secondly, “in passing” has to do with motion.  If we take our cars on the interstate, there will be many other cars passing us.  Some will come at us and pass.  Others will come from behind and pass us.  By definition, motion means things pass by.  Again, if life is lived like this---in passing---there will be no meaning or purpose.  Meaning and purpose have to have some “staying power” in order to be effective.

Finally, “in passing” has to do with the superficial things in our lives.  I have had many superficial interests in my life which turned out to be nothing.  I remember my serious decision to become the world’s most famous guitar player!  Actually, it was a superficial commitment.  I realized I much preferred baseball.  I was much better with a curve than a chord!

So what does this have to do with spirituality?  And my spiritual journey?  Everything!!

If my spiritual journey is only a series of passing fancies, it does not really amount to anything.  It has no duration.  It will not last.  There will be no meaning or purpose.  And if my spiritual journey is only something that comes and goes---like the cars on an interstate---there will be no staying power.  Of course, if my spirituality is superficial---a mere dabbling in it---then there will no discipline and, therefore, no depth.  Without depth, I fear there is no meaning and purpose.

Life will pass.  I am intrigued that in my neighborhood, “passing” seems to be the favorite synonym for “dead!”  So if I live my life “in passing,” certainly I will be without any vitality.  To be without vitality is to be without meaning and without purpose.  To this I am going to pay attention!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri