Skip to main content

Lost and Found

I had to smile as I typed the title for this inspirational journey reflection.  In my building the Lost and Found boxes are right outside my door.  Routinely, I have to push them back under the table where we store them because students are always coming in to look for lost books, hats, etc.  Of course, at the end of the year there are at least two big boxes full of stuff that is forever lost.  We have books for a baby library, umbrellas, gloves (often only one!), etc.  So I know exactly what Lost and Found is and where it is located.

But you might guess what I want to ponder is not the two boxes under the table outside my door.  Indeed, I had a new idea pop into my head as I was reading my favorite Buddhist author, Thich Nhat Hanh.  I am using one of his books for a class.  I like the book; I love the perspective Hanh brings, the challenges he poses to me and the students, as well as the potential spiritual growth he provokes.

I was working my way through a chapter entitled, “Let the Child Be Born to Us.”  It is a reflection on Christmas and Buddhism.  But it is not just a normal Christian reflection piece on Christmas.  Hanh brings a fresh set of “Buddhist eyes” to the traditional story of the birth of Jesus.  Somehow it becomes more and different in his narrative.

Hanh understands Christmas not just as a one-time event---the birth of the historical Jesus some twenty centuries ago.  Of course, it was that---a historical event.  But it also is a faith event.  It is a repeating event for the person of faith.  In Hanh’s understanding, Christmas should somehow be a daily, if not hourly, event for the person of faith.  I find this challenging and provocative.

Hanh thinks we all have “seeds of the Holy Spirit” within us.  If I may make the comparative move I think he has in mind, these seeds of the Holy Spirit are nothing more than the spiritual potential we all have for a rich, deep, meaningful life.  By definition this will be a spiritual life.  It is really easy to live so superficially that we never “touch” that potential.  Or we live life so worried, so angry, so fearful, so-anything, that we choke the potential birth and growth of these seeds into that rich, deep, meaningful life.

This “touching” the seeds of the Holy Spirit is what Christmas in March, 2011, is all about.  It is not an annual affair.  It is not just a daily affair.  It can be hourly or by the minute.  It is what Buddhism is all about, too.  Instead of touching the Holy Spirit, the Buddhist touches mindfulness.

Hanh says, “every time you touch the seed of mindfulness and mindfulness manifests in you, life is possible.”  As I understand it, mindfulness is something like awareness or alertness.  That is the key to this rich, deep, meaningful life.  And then came the sentence in Hanh that I found arresting.
“If you are lost in the future or in the past, you are not alive.”  Such a simple sentence---a simple thought---but a powerful punch in the spiritual nose!  If I am lost in the future…  If I am lost in the past…  If either is true, how can I be aware, alert, and mindful of anything in the present?  If this is true, I am lost.

It is easy to be lost and not know it---not experience it.  I know what it is to be lost in the future.  It can be daydreams or nightmares that populate the future.  But they are not real because they are not present.  And I know what it is like to be lost in the past.  I do know how to be lost.

Then it hit me.  I can be just like those boxes under the table…boxes full of stuff: lost and normally never found.  So what’s the answer?

Simple.  Wake up.  Be present.  Touch the seed within yourself which is the Presence and Power of the Divine.  Be mindful of that Presence and Power.  And live this day from that place and space.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri