Skip to main content

It’s Either Fear or Love

The title of today’s reflection jumped out at me when I read these words in a book I am reading for one of the classes I teach.   I thought, “wow, so that’s the choice: fear or love?”  I guess I thought it would be more complex than that.

Education has so many good things going for it.  I cringe every time I think about the growing educational gap between the “haves” and the “have nots.”  Those who have not pursued education will likely be so short-changed in our increasingly technological world, that I can only shake my head.  So I do have high regard for education.

But education and progress is not everything.  This was brought home to me when I was reading the section that contained the title of this reflection.  Richard Rohr, the author, began a paragraph by saying, “It’s an enchanted universe; there is nothing new under the sun in terms of the soul.”  Basically, I agree with Rohr.

Sometimes, this might be disappointing.  Probably the American mindset typically expects good things to be new things.  And that often is true.  A really good computer is usually the new one.  It has features and potentiality no five-year old comparable model would have. 

But when you turn to the soul, good is not necessarily novel.  There have been many soulful people before us.  And what they have to teach us often is pretty simple and easy to learn.  What is not easy is to practice being soulful and, indeed, living soulfully.  Rohr talks about “soul patterns.” 

Soul patterns are the basics in spirituality.  Rohr lists some of them.  “It’s either fear or love.”  So this is a soul pattern.  This suggests that all of us live our lives from one of these two perspectives: fear or love.  That is not to suggest we do not know something about both fear and love.  Most of us have experienced both.  But Rohr thinks each of us has a dominant stance---a soul-tendency, if you will.

Of course, I do not know for sure, but my guess is most of us---if honest---probably know which is our dominant stance.  I am pretty confident mine was fear…at least, for some time in my growing up years.  Doubtlessly, I masked it fairly well.  I was an athlete, did well in school, and was decently popular.  Compared to my peers, I came off well.  Who would guess my dominant stance was fear-based?

I am also confident this energized my early steps into spirituality.  It is as if we know there is an alternative.  And that alternative is the love-stance.  As Rohr says, “Religion is always about love.”  I began the process of discovering and growing into this new way of being.
I am certainly not there yet.  I feel more like a kid wobbling along on his relatively new “spirituality bike!”  I am moving; others are encouraging and helping.  You need others in order to love and be loved.  Love is not a solo journey.

I know I have to continue to be intentional.  “Relax and relapse” might be a good phrase to keep in mind.  That does not mean learning to love has to be always tense.  But it does mean I have to be intentional---to be “in tension” with the love I strive to become.

It’s not so much knowledge as it is experience.  It is easy to know about love and not be loving.  But it is impossible to be loving and not know about love.

Join me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri