Skip to main content

Remembering Sallie McFague

People reading this inspirational piece may have no clue who Sallie McFague is. She was an important theologian in the late twentieth century and for some years in the twenty-first century.  She very recently died and I had not known this.  I did not really know her, although I met her a couple of times.  I was very helped by some of her books and other writings.  I especially liked a couple books called, Models of God and Metaphorical Theology.  I want to share some gratitude and to share some of the thoughts of Franciscan sister, Shannon Shrein, whose writing informed me that McFague had died.

As the title of the above books would indicate, McFague did a great deal of work around the theme of metaphor.  In case you forgot, a metaphor is using one figure of speech that is familiar to talk about another thing that may not be familiar.  An example I often have seen used is the metaphor, “war is a chess game.”  In this case the chess game is the familiar term and it is used to described something that is unknown or difficult to grasp.  Basically, McFague argues the only way we can talk about God is to use metaphors.

To begin with, McFague argues that what theologians are doing is “the elaboration of key metaphors and models” to talk about God and so many other things of religion.  This is true for the theologians of the early Christian Church and will be true for theologians of our own time.  We can stay with age-old metaphors, such as talking about God as “Father,” or even, “Mother.”  Or we can think about God in fresh ways and use new metaphors.  Shrein puts it this way: “New metaphors are required to give substance to new ways of conceiving God.” 

This does not mean the old metaphors are wrong or useless.  But they may be tired or not as helpful to new generations.  Schrein appropriately tells it this way.  “The power of metaphor, when talking about God, is found in the flash of discovery, a moment that offers a different way of thinking about God.  Suddenly the traditional image of God as father, for example, is recognized as no longer sufficient for our time.”  Metaphors are not right or wrong.  More to the point, metaphors are useful to convey knowledge and understanding or they are not useful.

This means to me that we have to be careful with metaphors.  They are not inherently doctrine.  For example, I say that I believe in God.  For me this is a truth.  Of course, I know I cannot prove it to an atheist.  But it is true to me.  I still find talking about God as Father to be meaningful.  I recognize it as metaphor, but understanding God to be something like a good, caring parent is meaningful to me.  But I don’t think the “Father” is necessarily a doctrinal affirmation of truth.  Metaphorically, it is not true nor false that God is Father.

In a way that may sound a little too convoluted, Schrein speaks both for herself and for McFague in an insightful way.  She says, “Overused metaphors, especially those that have become reified over time, lose their ability to speak, to move, to change and to transform us. McFague understood that the immensity of God demands that no single image is sufficient for understanding God's grandeur.”  In this quoted sentence, we may not know what “reified” means.  That is a fancy term that means a metaphor becomes a “thing.”  God the Father becomes a “thing” when we lose sight of the fact that “Father” is a metaphor.  It is not a “thing.”

The metaphor of “Father” is an old metaphor for God.  To many folks, it is now overused.  I thought McFague was right.  Some of the overused metaphors lose their ability to speak.  They do not excite or transform the one hearing the message.  While “Father” might still be fine for me, I know it is not for my two daughters.  Talking about God that way simply does not speak to them in any constructive way.  Whatever I might want to think, that is the way it is.  And so I take it as true and begin to look for new and more appropriate metaphors. 

I take solace in the fact that we have to use metaphors to talk about God.  To me this means we have real freedom.  If one metaphor does not work, then choose another one.  This seems to me to be crucial for taking the faith to someone else.  McFague knew this.  Schrein tells us that McFague’s own life grew and developed and, hence, her understanding of and doing theology changes.  For example, her own experience changed her early view of God as a distant God.  As Schrein tells the story about McFague, “Hiking brought her back to the realization that God is all in all, that all living things exist in proportion to one another and to God.”

I like the fact that hiking could change her theology.  That does not make me worry; it excites me.  It tells me to keep having experiences.  And that we should keep doing theology, which means reflecting on our experiences.  Theology is always a work in progress.  I find this a relief and joy.  I sense God is so great, no theology can capture absolutely the way to describe that divinity.  That is why we resort to metaphors. 

McFague offered some other metaphors.  I think my favorite is God is friend.  God is energy is another important one for me.  That conveys something the truth about God for me.  I know it may or may not speak to someone else.  I am thankful for Sallie McFague’s life.  She lived a rather long time---86 years.  She did some remarkable writing for me.

That’s a good life---she made an impact.



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri