Skip to main content

The Heart of the Spiritual Quest

It’s a good day when I run across an idea or a quotation that really speaks to me.  Since I have never had much luck finding four –leaf clovers, I can’t be sure it is like that.  But the analogy works well.  Sometimes, I imagine reading through a book as similar to walking in a field.  Words are everywhere, just like the grass.  And as you are reading on, boom, there it is.  There is the idea or the quotation sticks out just like one of those four-leaf clovers.

Irresistibly just as I would bend down to pick the clover, so do I pause and metaphorically “pick up” the idea.  That happened when I was reading some material from Parker Palmer’s book, The Active Life.  I like reading Palmer.  He has written quite a bit over the years and usually it is helpful.  And it is nice that I personally am a friend.  Somehow that always makes it more special. 

Parker Palmer writes, “For me, the heart of the spiritual quest is to know ‘the rapture of being alive,’ and…to allow that knowledge to transform us into celebrants, advocates, defenders of life wherever we find it.”  I pause initially to wonder what I would have said if someone were to approach me and ask, “what is the heart of the spiritual quest?”  

I don’t know what my response would have been, but now it does not matter.  I have Palmer’s wonderful word!  What I am sure about, however, is that I would never have used the word, “rapture.”  That is a fairly loaded word in theology.  To talk about the rapture typically is to describe that time at the end of history when all the Christian believers (of a certain persuasion anyway) will be taken from this earth immediately to heaven.  But maybe the word does not mean this for that many people.

I actually like the word, “rapture,” on its own---apart from theological associations.  The word literally means ecstasy or passion.  It makes sense to talk about someone going to a powerful orchestral performance and in a state of rapture being captivated by the music.  No doubt, many of us have had this feeling in nature---by a sunset, by a seaside visit, by a mountain’s majesty.  I have been raptured!

And it is in this sense I am certain Parker Palmer is talking.  The heart of the spiritual quest is to experience the rapture of being alive.  Surely, being alive is much more than existing.  Existing is what we do in the valleys of our lives.  If we can find (or create) the majesty, the beauty, and grace of life, then surely we open ourselves to the rapture of being alive.

Experiencing the rapture of being alive transforms us into celebrants of life.  I like that phrase.  All of us know what it is like to go to special occasions---weddings, funerals, etc.---where we hear about life being celebrated.

What I suspect Parker Palmer wants to assure us is that normal life---life in the valley---can also be the occasion and the place where we become celebrants.  We will become celebrants as we opt for the spiritual quest.  There are so many reasons not to do this.  But the spiritual quest insists that we can experience the rapture of being alive.

The spiritual quest is not automatic; it takes intentionality, some discipline, and usually some other folks to be on the quest with us.  (I call this “community.”)  Wanting to be on this quest and to experience the rapture of being alive is a good beginning.  But it is not sufficient.  We actually will have to do some things.

As the days go on, we will explore some of the steps of the spiritual quest to experience this rapture of being alive.  But today, I am clear I want to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri