Skip to main content

OM: Encountering the Holy

It was just a casual conversation.  I was paying attention, but it was not the kind of sharp awareness that focuses the attention to make sure I am ready for important stuff.  That meant I was not alert enough to anticipate the question that came my way. 

Indeed, it began innocently.  “Can I ask you a question,” the person asked?  “Sure,” I said naively.  Usually the content matches the context.  But in this case, it did not.  The person asked, “Do you know about OM?”  “A little,” I said.  I did know a little bit about it.  I know it comes out of the Hindu tradition and is also found in Buddhist circles. 

The little I know is more than most Americans would know.  But if I were in India, my ignorance would be remarkable!  So I quickly shared a bit of the little that I knew.  I said it was mostly associated with Hinduism.  It is a symbol that points to the Holy.  And that was sufficient to get me through the immediate situation.

And I decided I wanted to think some more about it.  I have been in Hindu temples and Buddhist temples where that symbol is chanted.  I say “chant” because it is so much more powerful than simply saying it.  I never get that same feeling when I say the Lord’s Prayer or recite the Nicene Creed with a Christian group.  Chanting OM is a powerful, moving experience.

Just because it comes from the Hindu world does not mean I summarily dismiss it.  Because it might not make sense to many of us does not mean it is nonsense!  It is a symbol to encounter the Holy.  Saying this, I realize there are two steps in the functioning of this symbol.

The first step is knowing that OM is a symbol to encounter the Holy.  This kind of knowing is intellectual.  It might mean nothing more than knowing some chemical formulas that work.  So I know that OM is a symbol for the Hindu Deity, Brahman.  Brahman is the impersonal Deity of Hinduism.  As one source puts it, “Brahman, in itself, is incomprehensible; so a symbol becomes mandatory to help us realize the Unknowable.” 

To show how comprehensive this symbol is, Hindu scriptures acknowledge that "Om is the one eternal syllable of which all that exists is but the development. The past, the present, and the future are all included in this one sound, and all that exists beyond the three forms of time is also implied in it.”  Many Hindus utter the sound when they arise in the morning.  It is the basic sound of the world.  To say OM is to say God---to point to the Holy One.

From experience I do know that when I say OM, there is a reverberation in my body that feels connecting.  Because it is not my tradition, I cannot say it connects me to God.  But I know it connects me to something deep.  It is full-bodied.  When folks corporately chant OM, there is a deep connecting of them and, well, God (in my language). 

Paradoxically, to begin chanting OM---and holding that chant---takes me both very deep within and transcendent beyond my boundaries.  It intensifies and expands.  I know only two places in my normal experience when that intensity and expansion happen: with God and in love.

If I had my full wits, I would have taken my answer to the OM question in a fuller direction.  But that is ok.  When we are dealing with OM, we are in the eternal dimension!  I’ve got time. 

I don’t know that I will use OM in my own spirituality.  But I also need a symbol to encounter the Holy One.  What is mine?  Will it be as effective?  Will it intensify and expand me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri