Skip to main content

Monday’s Assignment

It is inevitable if you live longer enough, you learn things you never thought you would learn or even be interested in learning.  That has happened to me with regularity.  If we are lucky, we get to spend much of our time doing things we want to do.  Perhaps this is one definition of freedom.  In this sense I have been quite free.  Other than a couple jobs during college, I have had some freedom in choice of work, where to work and even more.  At least, I know I have been fortunate and am grateful.

One of the things I assumed I had little interest in and assumed I did not want to learn about was business.  I respected folks who went into business.  Growing up on a farm meant, in some fashion, we were our own business.  I learned that you had to make more money than you spent or you were in trouble.  I learned the basics and could have been a farmer and made it ok.  But I was called elsewhere.

During the process of a great deal of religious studies, studying business would have been the farthest thing from my mind.  And yet, when I look back, there were occasional brushes with the business world.  I had an internship in my seminary days with one of the biggest and oldest Boston businesses.  When the name, Cabot, is on the business letterhead, that is old-time Boston for sure.  I should have suspected more interest on my part than I did.

Throughout my teaching and ministerial career, there have been quite a few brushes with the business community.  Of course, much of my time at my current institution has been spent with my business colleague.  We have done speaking engagements, seminars, workshops, etc. with little companies and Fortune 500 companies.  I have learned to appreciate the human element that pervades all businesses.  I realized they were more interesting than I thought and more germane to my interests than I could have guessed.

One of the business folks I regularly follow is Tom Peters.  He is about my age and has been quite successful.  I find his experience, insight and teachings to be sometimes profound.  He has a no-nonsense, brusque way of putting things.  He does not put up with a great deal of nonsense.  This is something my humanities colleagues would do better to learn and implement.  He is not negative, but is to the point.  He reads the tea leaves of our current culture and has some trenchant observations to offer.  I find much of it resonates with my own way of seeing things.  And he articulates things in ways that would not occur to me.

I follow him on Twitter.  Recently, he offered one such tidbit of wisdom.  Let me share it with you and offer a few comments.  He begins this tweet with his typical terse comment.  He simply says, “Monday’s assignment.”  As I read on into his tweet, I realized this could fit any day of the week.  In fact, it could be a daily mantra.  I was eager to read the rest.
   
His next thought was a gem.  He charges to make sure “Every individual on your team should be better prepared for forthcoming change on Friday than when the week started.”  Let’s unpack this.  At the core of this sentence is the assumption that change is the rule of the day.  In fact, I am confident change is the name of the game today.  If you are static or even too conservative, you probably operate in peril.  Change is built into the fabric of our universe.  But what is different today is the rate of change---how rapidly change changes the face of the present.

If you are not sure, pay attention to the technology in our lives.  The iPhone in my pocket is a really great example.  The iPhone came into our lives in 2007.  And now there are already twelve generations of the device.  Unbelievable!  The iPhone did not come directly from the hand of God.  Human beings invented it, innovated it and have sold over two billion since 2007.  It has revolutionized the phone I used in the kitchen when I was a kid!  And it was created by a team.  As Peters says, make your team better tomorrow.

The last part of his tweet counsels: “Forget longterm BS.  Remember my Theme #1: EXCELLENCE IS THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES.”   As a guy who does spirituality, I wonder if it is the same in my world?  Clearly tradition plays a role in religion, but I also know that people are always in a particular culture and a context.  And those cultures and contexts are changing fairly quickly. 

We know people increasingly don’t find relevance in churches as they now are.  I wonder what most spiritual people think is excellence?  Do people want what we have?  I spend most of my time with young adults.  I think we need to address these issues.  They expect more out of religion than leftovers and re-heated nourishment.  They have choices and they know things change quickly.  Is what we spiritual folks offering the world adaptable and flexible enough to be meaningful and relevant today and by Friday?

I am sure it can be.  But will it?  That’s our Monday assignment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri