Skip to main content

A Broken Soul---More Thoughts

The image of a broken soul has been a powerful one for me.  Having just commented on it, I cannot leave it alone.  I have more thoughts about a theme that I think is quite important in the spiritual realm.  Oddly enough, I believe a broken soul is why so little is done spiritually in some folks’ lives.  And on the other hand, a broken soul is sometimes the driver of so much spiritual activity and growth for other folks.

Let’s approach this from two directions.  As usual, language helps me think about the process.  I realize a broken soul happens in both an active way and a passive way.  When I ponder a broken soul from the active sense, I mean I do it to myself.  I “break” my soul.  I smile or shudder (both are appropriate!) because I have done this to myself so many times.  

There are countless ways to “break” our souls, but the end result is the same: a broken soul.  It might be important to define what I mean by soul.  The best way I get into a definition is to acknowledge that I do not think I “have” a soul so much as I “am” a soul.  The soul is the essence of me…the essence of you.  Our souls have a commonality in the sense that we are both human.  I am male and you might be female, but we are both humans.  Our souls have some distinctiveness, if not uniqueness, in the sense that I “am” a different person than you are.  My soul is expressed---lived and acted out---differently than you do your soul.

So soul is a quality, an aspect, a way of living.  Soulful is authentic.  When I am inauthentic, I am not soulful.  For me soul is also relational.  Soul is how I am connected and related to God the Spirit.  As Genesis tells us, we are created with choice.  I can always say “No.”  I can break relationship and substitute my own ego in the middle instead of the Spirit.  I can become egocentric.  No egocentric person is soulful.  In this sense, a broken soul is a displaced soul…displacing our spiritual center with some other, lesser center (“centric”).

So many of my choices have displaced the Spirit.  In every way I break my soul.  Often I am blinded to the fact that I am a displaced soul because it was of my own choosing.  I am busy chasing my own idol.  But idolatry is always an empty pursuit…doomed to failure and condemned to brokenness.

The other way I come to have a broken soul is the passive way.  In this case, someone or something else does it to me.  Someone “breaks” my soul.  Usually, I did not ask for it and I did not want it.  But it happens.  She broke my soul.  He tore me to pieces.  The line goes variously, but the effect is the same: a broken soul.

The good news is there is healing.  The one thing I can count on is the Spirit is always a healer and never the hurter.  And the Healer is always ready and willing.  Of course, that sounds all-too-easy, if not magical.  And no sane person thinks about the Divine Healer in this fashion.

We have to remember the nature of most healing processes.  They are processes, not immediate miracles---even when God is involved.

If we are broken---regardless of whether I did it to myself or you did it to me---healing will come and it typically takes time.  This is where spirituality comes into the picture.  Maybe we can equate much of the spiritual journey to a healing journey.  Often our journeys begin in misery and can end in majesty.

If the journey begins in brokenness, then it is miserable.  The good news is healing is majestic!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri