Skip to main content

An Interfaith Gift

I would like to share a personal story which touched me when it happened.  And reflecting on the story lets me see the meaningfulness of it for helping others in dealing with folks from another faith tradition.  It is also a story of serendipity, since I did not see this whole thing coming my way.

The story begins in a relationship I have with a friend.  This friend and I have done a significant amount of work together, but much of the work is done singly and then we talk on the phone or get together for short periods of time.  The work is not necessarily religious in nature, so we are not spending time sitting around talking about religion and spirituality.  And it is probably worth noting that my friend is Jewish, but not really a practicing Jew.  I respect that and have felt no need to probe.  I am content simply to let his story come out as he sees fit.

Recently we had occasion to spend some more time together.  We had a plane trip together and then a couple evenings over a meal and some leisure time in the hotel.  Time like this is precious for friendships to grow.  My friend and I have some things in common, but there are many real differences, which I relish.  I am a farm kid and he is from one of the world’s leading large cities.  Our religious upbringing is different.  Clearly, the kinds of people with whom he grew up are markedly different than mine were. 

During one of our meals together, my friend told me about his college roommate, Norman.  In contrast to my friend, Norman is a devout Orthodox Jew.  He came from a very wealthy Jewish family and obviously is incredibly bright.  Norman continued his education and became a tax lawyer.  He is arguably the most famous tax lawyer in all of Canada, having written the definitive book on Canadian tax law.  I certainly respect that, but acknowledge it does not much interest me.

But then my friend began to tell me about Norman’s religious interests.  Apparently Norman was not content with merely being a rich tax lawyer.  So he went to one of Canada’s leading universities to study religion.  He continued his studies until he garnered a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto.  In the process Norman became quite interested in Jules Isaac, who influenced the work of Vatican II in its deliberation on how the Catholic Church should view and interact with Judaism.

Vatican II, which convened in the early 1960s powerfully affected many of the ways current Catholics view any number of issues, like using English as the language of Mass and how Christians are supposed to understand Jews and their place in the saving work of God.  Apparently behind much of this was the influence of Jules Isaac.  It is a story I don’t know.  As my friend was talking about Norman and his studies, I was fascinated.

So the conversation unfolded as my friend and I had dinner and then it was over.  I didn’t give any more thought to it until the afternoon we were supposed to return to our home.  With a few hours to spare, my friend and Norman were slated to have lunch and catch up.  And so my friend went off to meet Norman.  Later at the airport, my friend was sharing some tidbits of his lunch and catching up time with Norman.  I think it is funny that I actually am probably more interested in what Norman has done with religion than my friend is!

My friend had briefly told me about Norman’s publication of his dissertation, which was on Jules Isaac.  Apparently, the book has been reviewed with appreciation.  Folks are glad to have this detailed look at the Jewish thinker, his time in Rome during Vatican II (lasting from 1962-65) and his lasting influence on Catholic thinking---and probably in some ways on non-Catholic Christian thinking.  I was fascinated by the fact that a tax lawyer also was doing this kind of scholarship.

And then my friend reached into his briefcase.  “I have a gift for you,” he said.  He produced a copy of Norman’s book and handed it to me.  I held it in my hand.  Jewish Conscience of the Church: Jules Isaac and the Second Vatican Council was the title. It was an interfaith gift.  It is a book I want to read.  I am interested in this issue and, of course, the whole impact of Vatican II, which has even affected me.

But even more, I was so touched by my friend, his thoughtfulness and his desire to share something special with me.  And act like this takes our relationship to a deeper place.  I got much more than a book out of this.  I could have bought the book.  But getting the book the way I got it makes it so much more than a book.  It will always be a symbol.  It is a symbol of friendship between two older guys---pretty different and yet very much alike. 

And that sounds like groups of people---some of the differences between religions.  The interfaith gift teaches me again about caring, giving and loving. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri