Skip to main content

A Papal Gargoyle

I remind myself it is important to have some fun.  Too often religion and spirituality are too serious.  Everything is a matter of life and death.  I think this is especially true for those who are too doctrinally driven.  Those folks worry too much about what other folks believe and don’t believe.  They are too quick to make judgments and often are found to be judgmental---although they never think they are! 

And so in a spirit of fun, I ran across a wonderful little essay entitled, “A Pope Francis gargoyle now watches over Cologne cathedral.”  I have been to the cathedral in Cologne many times.  I lived a year in Germany and we were only a couple hours from that wonderful German city on the Rhine River.  In fact, I loved taking the train to Cologne.  As you near the heart of the city center, you can see the Gothic cathedral dominating the landscape.  Gothic cathedrals are always impressive to me.  Their towering spires literally inspire me.  They evoke a sense of transcendence---a sense of majesty that lifts the human heart.   

As the train approaches the main central station in Cologne, you begin to realize you are going right into the cathedral itself.  Actually, you are going right under it.  It is an amazing feeling to emerge from the train station and find yourself in the presence of this spiritual testimony to the God who created it all.  Along with the feeling of transcendence, I am humbled and have that sense of smallness that is elicited in contrast to the amazing piece of ecclesiastical architecture.   

And that is where the little story begins for folks standing right outside the Cologne cathedral.  Tom Heneghan, author of the articles, begins this way.  “It took about a week for visitors to the massive Catholic cathedral in Cologne, Germany, to notice a small addition to its ornate Gothic entrance — a carved stone figure of Pope Francis leaning forward like a gargoyle.”  The article has a picture of the stone pope attached by his legs to the building.  He is nearly upside down---head below his feet.  His eyes are looking down to the street level.  His stony face has a permanent smile.  And his right hand is extended downward with invisible fingers in a seemingly closed-handed benediction or blessing.   

Something I did not know is the Cologne cathedral has a tradition of creating new figures for the church.  For example, Heneghan informed me “On its roof, a vast space not visible from the large square down below, statues of John F. Kennedy, Nikita Khrushchev, Charles de Gaulle and Harold Macmillan huddle in a summit meeting.  Another group of statues shows a parade for Carnival, the boisterous street party the city throws every year just before Lent.”  I had no clue.  It would be fun to get to the roof the next time I am in Cologne.   

As you might guess, some people---especially some Catholics---do not think this is appropriate.  Not every Catholic approves of Pope Francis.  Some of his concerns, announcements and writings rub traditionalist Catholics the wrong way.  His emphasis on mercy might take away the need for judgment.  Some see him as too soft.  Some people who are too soft can be too forgiving.  Being too forgiving is what worries people who want to hold strict standards and enforces all the rules.   

These are the kinds of folks who don’t have much fun.  In fact, they are suspicious of people who have fun.  If you define religion in serious terms, fun does not fit very well.  Fun seems superficial---not taking things seriously.  I am most familiar with people within the Christian tradition.  Maybe it is tough when we follow a leader who ultimately was crucified after being declared an enemy of the state (Roman Empire).  When you can be killed for your faith, it may seem frivolous to focus on having some fun.  

But this misses the other part of Jesus’ story.  Apparently, he was ok with a party.  According to the New Testament, Jesus was capable of laughing.  I had a colleague of mine write a book on the humor of Jesus.  As I write this, I am reminded of the twin ways of looking at life.  Life can be a tragedy or a comedy.  Clearly, the life of Jesus ended tragically.  But tragedy was not the last word.  The story of resurrection is the story of life---the story that finally, it is a comedy, not tragedy.  Ultimately, love wins out. 

It is this spirit I choose to see the value of humor and having fun.  I would like to think Pope Francis sees it the same way.  I think he will have a laugh and think it is cool that he is a gargoyle!  How he is portrayed is spiritually flattering.  He is smiling and ready to bless.  I think he is ready to joke with folks and have some fun.  And so would I like to be portrayed in the same spirit. 

Life will be better if we can find the comedy.  Life is good if we can figure out how to smile instead of snarl.  We should be more ready to bless people than blast them.  I appreciate some stone mason in Cologne has a sense of humor and has created a stone pope.  Life is short.  Let’s have some fun with it.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri