Skip to main content

Wake up and Change

I feel fortunate to spend much of my time with younger folks.  It is a privilege to work with college-age students.  They normally are full of hope and want the very best in their lives.  I agree this should be their perspective.  In the bigger global picture, they are actually pretty privileged---even though most of them don’t think so.  But if you look at all the young folks their age around the world, most of the ones who are my students have it made.

If I find any fault with them, it is how preoccupied they can be with their own issues and problems.  Again, I don’t find this surprising.  Most people are ruled by self-interest.  Even I have to admit that self-interest plays a big role in my life.  What I try to do is not let it be the dominant motif in life. That is why I espouse to be a servant-leader.  At least I can recognize that I want to be and act on behalf of others.  That’s the aim anyway.

Occasionally, we all run into exceptional people.  That is how I see Greta Thunberg.  If you have not heard of this remarkable young lady from Sweden, you need to pay more attention.  She is part of the young contingent who is already making a difference world-wide.  And your kids and grandkids may owe their very futures to her and those like her.  And she was only born in 2003!  She is remarkable.

Greta is the one who inspires the title for this inspirational piece: wake up and change.  Let me fill you in on her and her background and her ministry---if I may be so bold as to claim it in that fashion.  Her life and work I consider to be the epitome of spiritual living and working.  And I have no clue about her religious affiliation and, frankly, it does not matter too much to me in this instance.

I am going to label Greta the apostle of global warming or climate change.  She is also prophetically appearing in the world to proclaim the need for immediate change and to call others to change.  She is particularly appealing to the young folks, for which I am grateful.  My sorrow is my sense that so many of the students I teach have never heard of her.  They will!  Let me present some lines from a TED talk she recently did that will present the key ideas.

She talks about the emissions from our cars, etc. that are causing significant problems.  This impacts almost everyone I know, including me.  We need to think about making changes.  She challenges me to think about changes I can make.  Her logic is spot on.  For example, she says “everyone keeps saying climate change is an existential threat and the most important issue of all, and yet they just carry on like before.”  Guilty, I plead.  No one will describe this as a call to repentance, but I think that is what it is. 

She sets up her analysis with what seem like innocent questions.  And then follows the punch line.  “Are we knowingly causing a mass extinction?  Are we evil?  No, of course not.  People keep doing what they do because the vast majority doesn't have a clue about the actual consequences of our everyday life, and they don't know that rapid change is required.  We all think we know, and we all think everybody knows, but we don't. Because how could we?”  She explains a great deal here, but unfortunately explaining it does not necessarily lead to change.

She takes humanity off the hook by acknowledging we are not knowingly creating this global mess.  We are innocently committing the mayhem we see unfolding.  She does not think we are evil.  I don’t think most people are evil (maybe some exceptions certainly act out some evil).  But we are sinners.  She does not use that language, but I certainly feel clear to do so.  Again, to sin is to be in need of some repentance.

She nails it when she says the vast majority of us don’t have a clue about the actual consequences of our actions. That’s true, but also regrettable.  We need to wake up.  We need to pay attention.  We can’t claim to be ignorant, although that is what climate change deniers are!  The good/bad news is people my age will escape.  We will be out of the mess before we have to pay for the mess.  But I am worried about my grandkids and their offspring.

I think she is correct.  Rapid change is needed.  I suspect it is actually required.  I am willing to allow that she is speaking on behalf of the Spirit.  The kind of God in whom I believe is calling us now to be co-creators of this new and renewed world.  We should not be the problems when we can join Greta and be the solutions.  It’s our choice, but we have to choose.  We need to wake up and change. 

And then we need to become apostles of change, too.  This is not the time to say we are too busy.  Nothing else we do may be as important as this work of ministry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri