Skip to main content

The Name is Just the Surface

The name is just the surface.  I think about this every time I begin a new class at the university, teach a class or seminar at a local church or lead any group for a period of time.  Sometimes, names are not important in the context.  We can go to a lecture, listen to someone talk for an hour and then leave.  Who I am in that context does not matter.  But I spend most of my time and energy in situations where names matter.

Names are usually the first stage of getting to know someone.  When we introduce ourselves, typically we extend our right hand and offer our name.  If we are on top of it, we listen to the other person name herself or himself.  Too often, I have realized I didn’t listen.  I was more intent on making sure they heard my name and they got it.  I realized this is a telling experience.

That means I was more interested in me than in the other person.  I was more concerned they wouldn’t “get me.”  If they can’t remember my name, then how can they know me?  How can they take me seriously if they can’t remember my name?  It bothers me more that they might not “know” me, than that I did not catch their name and, hence, have not engaged the process of getting to know them.  And for sure, I don’t this to be the case.

Of course, I want to have my name known so that the person I am can be known.  I smile to myself when I realize my first name has three possible spellings.  That is why I spell it to people when I think it is important!  Even though all three spellings would sound just alike when spoken, I am really only one of those three spellings.  I want people to get it right---probably so they will get me right.  I suppose there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it does not short circuit me getting them right, too.

The name is just the surface.  I firmly believe this.  Getting someone’s name is only the beginning of getting to know them.  Having a name for someone individualizes them.  If you are Mary, then you are not Susan, etc.  It is a first step, but only a first step.  That is why the name is just the surface.  To have the name individualizes you, but it does not get to the uniqueness of who you are.  We all know there is more than one Mary in the world!  I know there is more than one person even on my college campus bearing my name.  I am not even unique by name at my own school.  The name is just the surface.

This leads to some reflection on the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) and even the New Testament.  In both Judaism and Christianity naming something carries weight.  It can even be profound.  Basically, the idea is you are a nobody until you get a name.  You can see many places in the Old Testament where God names something into profundity.  Sometimes there is a name change to indicate transformation or, perhaps, a new mission.  Abram become Abraham.  That is not just a spelling preference.  It is an identity and mission pronouncement.  Christians are very familiar with Saul who becomes Paul.

In the case of these name changes came the switch in who they were and what they were to do.  The new names were pointers to this new identity and mission.  Let’s take Paul as our example.  The work Paul had to do now was embody the gospel and his mission to spread that gospel.  He did not have this mandate as Saul.  But Paul had a job to do.  And he was the one to do the job.  He could have said no.  He could have done it halfheartedly.  Had this been the case, he never would have been known as Paul, the Apostle.  He would have simply been a guy named Paul.  There would be no substance to the person bearing the name.  His name would have been just the surface.

And now it comes to me---and maybe you.  My name is just the surface.  In social settings, I can worry whether people get it right.  But in spiritual settings, my worry is where I get it right.  My name can be nothing more than the name of some guy functioning in the secular world.  It many just be the surface, but there is not much depth in the guy with my name.  I suggest our real depth comes with development of the spiritual person deep inside each of us---our soul, if you will. 

Our souls are unique to each of us.  There may be many people with my name, but my soul is unique to me.  It is the core of me where I meet the one who created me.  And my soul is what will propel me in my own way to become “Paul.”  I won’t get his name, but I will get my own new identity and mission.  In my case I will still have my old name, but I am a new me with a mission to be at work spiritualizing the secular world of ours. 

My name is just the surface.  Beneath my name is the real me which is my way of talking about my soul.  It encourages and emboldens me to do gospel work in the world, just as Paul did.  It does not have to be flashy.  I do not have to die doing it.  But I may need to die to the hang ups with the person who worries that someone will get my name wrong.  In the language of the gospel, I likely need to die to the old self. 

The real goal is not only to know the name, but know the soul bearing the name.  I am confident this is what was going on when Jesus called folks into discipleship.  He simply called their name and asked them to follow him.  If I am only worried about my name, I may well miss the call.  If that happens, the name is just the surface. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri