Skip to main content

Humility is Authenticity

Yesterday I shared some thoughts from Sister Joan Chittister’s recent reflections on the twelfth stop of humility found in St. Benedict’s Rule.  Chittister is a Benedictine nun who has followed the Rule offered by the Benedictine founder all the way back to the sixth century.  I am a Benedictine oblate, which means I am a kind of lay member of this religious order.  It means that I try to follow the Benedictine way of life---insofar as it makes sense given my own life and situation.

Humility is clearly a hallmark of this way of life.  It sounds simple, but even for Chittister and her religious sisters, it is not always a piece of cake.  After all, we are humans.  St. Benedict begins his admonition to the humble way of life in a fairly easy way, but by the time we reach the twelfth step, it is clear humility is supposed to be a way of life.  As I remarked yesterday, I like how Chittister offered her modern rendition of this twelfth step.  She suggests this reading: “The twelfth step of humility is that we always manifest humility in our bearing no less than in our hearts, so that it is evident ... whether sitting walking or standing." (italics are hers)

I would like to share a few more thoughts from Chittister, because they are so pertinent to the way we are called to live spiritually our lives.  In effect, she says if you don’t get it, you are probably a spiritual dunce.  This is her take on it.  “The directions are achingly pure: Be what you say you are.  Do not lie, even to yourself.  Don't live two lives — loving parent/missing parent, honest employee/cheating employee, devoted public servant/self-absorbed public celebrity.”  This is clear, but the call is to be pure.  I find it still a real challenge!

In our culture, humility is not easy.  And that is to say, purity is not easy.  I would like to think I am pure, but this doubtlessly would be a lie to myself.  My motives and methods are not always clear.  I can be selfish and egotistical.  Of course, I don’t see myself that way, so in my eyes I am not on the hook.  But I cannot pretend to be humble---at least the way St. Benedict lays it out. 
I think about how much I want to make out of the importance of community and Chittister helps me see how crucial humility is to building community.  For example, she notes about egotism, “The truth is that egotism is the bane of community-building.  It presents itself as what it is not, lives only for itself, and presumes it is heir to its universe.  It is a false and baseless claim to superiority.  No one can build anything that lasts when the materials are bogus.”  If I am even mildly egotistical, then real community is not possible.  I see this as a powerful argument for humility.  Finally, we cannot go it alone in this world and have it work out well---either for ourselves or our world.

Chittister continues to deal with some real life examples.  She talks about how we present ourselves in public, the clothes we choose to wear, etc.  She is not arguing for a nun’s outfit---even she does usually look like a traditional nun---whatever that means these days.  But she is arguing for decency.  Maybe I am too old, but the world of fashion seems to be a good example of the ego-trap.  Humility is not the same thing as a choice for ugliness, but I do think it is a challenge to what the fashion world offers and what our participation in that fashion world says about our self-presentation.

My favorite line from Chittister’s article links humility with authenticity.  She says, “Certainly, another word for humility is authenticity, the grace of being who we say we are.”  The word, authenticity, has been an important word for me.  The opposite of authenticity is fake.  Inauthentic people are deceptive folks.  They are not dealing in truth: their own truth or the truth they represent.  They threaten community by destroying trust which is the necessary building block of any community. 

Chittister puts it well when she links authenticity to grace.  And then she elaborates.  It is the grace of being who we say we are.  If we can do this, we cannot be fakes.  If we can do this, we are not dealing in lies.  I think she is insightful to say authenticity is a kind of grace.  At one level, we are gifted to be able to do this---to live authentically and humbly.  This is because it goes against the grain of our cultural lures.

Culture tells us to be someone we are not.  Wear these clothes; pretend to be this person; bend the truth to get what you want; you are more important than anyone else.  You are #1.  And so goes the cultural markers of our time.  It is difficult not to be influenced and taken in.  That is where grace comes into the picture.

With the help of grace, we can be authentic and, thereby, humble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri