Skip to main content

Environmental Problem

Climate change is becoming more prevalent as an issue.  Or at least, I hope it is.  I am on the side of the debate that says our time is running out to do something about taking better care of our earth.  I am not worried about my own skin.  I clearly will be gone before things get dicey on this planet.  But I am worried about my grandkids, who can easily live till 2100 CE.  What will things be like when they are really old---eighty years old—and have their own kids and grandkids.  I am not so sanguine about them and their chances.

And so it was with interest that I saw a recent article by Sister Ilio Delio, a contemporary theologian.  I have read some of her books and find her very insightful.  The title of her article is “Theology needs radical revisioning.”  She opens her piece with reference to Greta Thunberg, the young Swede, who has been speaking to governments about a different approach.  She has won the hearts of many and maybe that is the role of the young folks among us.  They can cause folks to listen and, perhaps, change.

And then Delio begins her own critique.  She notes, “The officials, whether in church or government, are listening but not listening, interested but apathetic, agreeing but not really agreeing.”  I think she is right.  Basically she says people are beginning to take some notice, but not enough to make any difference.  This means the danger continues to build.  Many of us are in denial mode.  For many, the problem---the environmental problem---is so huge, it leaves us dumbfounded and unable to manage any kind of response. 

Next Delio turns to some work from Lynn White, an academic who was writing about this stuff in the 1960s.  I remember reading some of his work and being nudge to worry about our planet even in those days.  I agree with Delio he is even more relevant today.  For example, he concludes, “the problems of the environment are essentially religious and thus the solution must be religious as well.” 

Again, I think there is much truth to this position.  Along with Delio, I am not interested in placing blame.  But to say the problems of the environment are essentially religious is to say the dominant Christian worldview of the past two millennia have established the foundation for the way we have seen and used our earth.  That needs to change.  And this is where the theological revisioning comes into play.  Delio poses the question this way: “What does a "religious solution" to the environmental problem look like in a church that seems to be riddled with dysfunction?”

Much of Delio’s analysis takes us into the medieval university and Catholic Church to see how a kind of narrowness developed that is still evident in many ways even to this day.  The dominant view of that time---and still evident in our American culture, for example---is the view that humans have a dominant role to play with respect to nature.  Nature is there for our use (and sometimes abuse).  Because this is so normal, we don’t even think about it in ethical terms.  We tend to equate normal with right thing to do.

And hence, our crisis today.  Of course, it is easy to deny that we are in a crisis.  And this only wastes time debating instead of marshalling resources to respond and be creative.  The sad thing is if I personally don’t feel like there is a crisis, there is little reason for me to think about it and ponder living in any different way.  I go back to Delio’s use of Lynn White.  He says we will need a religious solution.

If this is true, it is silly to wait for Congress or the government to bring the solution.  It will need to come out of the grassroots.  I recall how the anti-Vietnam sentiment grew out of the grassroots sentiment.  This is probably how the environmental problem will be solved.  Delio is correct to see it as a collaboration of religion and science.  She says, “An integrative vision of science and theology is not an option but essential in the 21st century.”  The real question is: what can I do?

I can become more informed.  I can encourage co-operation and collaboration between religion and science.  Too often, these are pitted against each other.  I can develop my own ecological sensitivities.  Recycling sees quaint, but it is a place to begin.  Moving away from fossil fuels is a no brainer.  In my case, it may mean driving less.  In my case, it means raising awareness of college students, so they can go further and be more creative than my own generation. 

We need to switch the momentum to deeper listening, more caring, more passion for change.  There are so many other ways to move forward.  It is time to heed the core religious message not to be self-centered, egotistical.  This is not an ecological pathway to a solution.  Count me in.  Let’s build a new community in this new world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri