Skip to main content

Happy Playground of the Times

Sometimes while I am reading, I run across an interesting sentence or even phrase that jumps out to grab my attention.  This often will happen even in article or books that have no special meaning to me.  This happened in a recent article I was reading in The Chronicle of Higher Education.  I read this weekly education publication to stay current with the themes and trends in higher education.  The piece had to do with the teaching of humanities and, particularly, the state of literature in our colleges and in our culture.  So this is not exactly in my own field, but I am nevertheless interested.

Of course human beings have been reading and writing for a long time.  Writing has served multiple purposes.  Sometimes it is for spiritual or philosophical edification.  It is easy to think about the sacred writings in the many different religious traditions.  All the major religious traditions have their sacred scriptures.  And even in many Christian denominations, there are particular writings that serve to ground and inform the adherents to those traditions.  It is certainly true for my own Quaker tradition.  

The article I was reading talked specifically about the role literature played in American culture.  It assumed a particular feature after WW II.  We all know about the important role communism played after the Great War.  I grew up in that period known as the Cold War.  The Russians and Americans were racing to put rockets and, even, people in space.  Propaganda flowed from both sides, although of course as a boy I understood the Russian story to be propaganda and the American narrative was truth!

The author I was reading then made an interesting note about the mid-twentieth century role of literature.  He said, “The midcentury notion of literature as antidote to propaganda,” was a key feature in English departments and literature.  It never would have occurred to me to see the writing in the mid-twentieth century in some way as an antidote to propaganda.  As interesting as this notion is, it was the next part of that article that jumped out at me.

The author says this notion of literature as an antidote to propaganda “gave way to the 21st century embrace of cyberspace as the happy playground of the times.”  The idea of cyberspace as a playground of our times struck me as graphically descriptive and accurate.  And most of the time it is a “happy playground.”  I would like to pursue this to the very different role of literature as spiritual edification or even sacred writings. 

No doubt, the best way to see folks today head to the happy playground of cyberspace is to watch them on their phones.  Gone are the days when the phones hung on the wall.  I still have a phone on my desk at work, but probably can count the weekly phone calls that come on one or two hands.  Instead, we whip out the cell phone from our pockets.  Most of the time, however, the phones are not being used to make calls.  Instead we are checking email or, more likely, surfing the internet.  That is an interesting metaphor we use.  We “surf” the internet.  Most of us have never surfed in our lives!

But it is an apt metaphor.  Surfing is something that is done for leisure.  Surfing connotes a happy-go-lucky life.  We are at the ocean.  Even to be at the ocean suggests a carefree, non-work place.  To be surfing is to be at play in an oceanic playground.  Nothing serious happens on that playground.  

Cyberspace is just such an ocean.  Seemingly it is endless.  You can jump on board wherever you are and cruise around.  There is no destination, no discipline---just float around.  In some way, there is no point.  You just ride around enjoying whatever comes along.  It is not purposeful.  Sadly, that surfing metaphor comes to describe too many of our lives.  We are alive, but there is no point---no purpose.  Cyberspace is the happy playground of our times.  We enter the playground by simply pulling out the phone and tapping away.  It is soul-killing, mind-numbing, and addictive.

If we return to literature, we have to shift images.  No one confuses great literature with a happy playground.  Great stories can become laboratories for us to work out our own sense of identity and to be called into our quest for meaning and purpose.  Sacred literature inspires us to live good lives---indeed to become great by letting go of ego and serving a higher purpose.  

It is difficult to surf great literature.  Instead it calls for commitment, discipline and persistence to get through noble thoughts and deeper insights.  The reward is not always happiness.  It is likely to be more in line with acquired wisdom startling insights into the deeper nature of things. 

I appreciate being reminded of something I know, but all too easily forget.  I am sure I will continue to be an occasional surfer of the internet.  But I dearly want to continue immersing myself in good literature.  It should never become surfing or Shakespeare!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri