Skip to main content

God Drives History

When I saw the title of a recent article, “The last monk of Tibhirine,” I knew I had to read it.  I suppose most folks---even religious people---do not know the word, Tibhirine.  It immediately connected for me.  I remembered one of the earlier spirituality books I ever read by Charles de Foucauld, founder of a monastery by that name in Algeria.  de Foucauld wrote a book called, Letters from the Desert, which I enjoyed very much.

de Foucauld had been in the French army, but then had a religious conversion.  He felt called to be a monk and to live among the Muslims.  And so he found himself in the desert among Muslims.  His life would be a living testimony to interfaith dialogue before it was even called such.  I was intrigued by what people would do when they had a burning faith.  He was a witness to one form of deep commitment.  Others joined his movement and lived a kind of communal witness to this interfaith dialogue.

But it came to an unfortunate ending.  In March, 1996 members of the Armed Islamic Group descended on the monastery and kidnapped seven monks.  What they did not know was two more monks were there, but not in the same place.  Sadly, the seven monks were ultimately killed and have since been beatified, part of the process of someday soon becoming saints.  Indeed, the died for their faith.  Even in death, their testimony lives on. They are still witnesses to a life of peace and witness.

The article I hit upon focuses on the remaining living monk who was one of two who survived that fateful March, 1996, day.  The survivor, Father Jean-Pierre Schumacher is now ninety-five years old.  To this day he still does not know for sure what happened.  He knows the Muslim radicals have been blamed, but is also aware there is some suspicion the Algerian government was involved and, perhaps, even the French government.  His commentary is brief.  "One doesn't know…It's a mystery that has not been cleared up."

I find his story fascinating.  He tells us life during the 1990s and the Algerian civil war was crazy.  “One lived in a climate of total insecurity from day to day…”  I was touched to hear him recount his own version of what today is called survivor’s guilt.  Why was he spared when the others went to their deaths?  Naturally, for a strong believer like Schumacher, it raises provocative theological questions---what was God up to?  And it raises even more potentially troubling issues about his own humanity and faith.  This is where the story became poignant for me.

He asked a couple obvious questions.  "Was my heart not ready?"  This is not the question of a beginner or someone who is only superficially engaged in the spiritual journey.  But for him, it was a real and powerful query.  Secondly he asked, "Was the lamp not lit?"  I think this is a reference to the gospel parable of the Ten Maidens.  They were told to be alert and be ready.  I am sure he assumed he was and, then, there was evidence that perhaps he was not.  That can be a body blow to the faith. 

The turning point in the story for me---and perhaps for Schumacher himself--- comes with the words of a Cistercian nun writing him from Switzerland.  She offered consolation in her approach to him. “She asked about his interior life and told him not to be troubled by anxiety or apprehensions — that God had taken seven men to witness to him by their deaths and left others to witness by their lives.”  Those words would seem like a gift to me. And I think that is how he saw it, too.

This is how Schumacher understands his situation.  “It's God who drove that history...”
Clearly, this is an affirmation of faith.  He thinks God is involved in the lives and actions of people and that God cares what happens and, perhaps even, how it happens.  Spiritual folks can’t prove it works this way.  And sometimes, there does not seem to be much evidence that God is involved in history, but this contemporary monk gives me courage to think in some deep way God does drive history.

One last thought from Schumacher gives me more to think about.  He says, “What happened to that monastery became an image for the entire world.  An image of reconciliation. It's a call to all today.”  It did become an image for me.  Ever since I read de Foucauld, I have known that story and appreciate what it tries to tell all of us who have some sense of God.  I appreciate even more Schumacher’s take on the story.  The image of the seven martyrs is an image of reconciliation. 

It is a challenge.  The image of reconciliation is an invitation.  Rather with Schumacher, it is a call.  It is a call to all of us when we are called into relationship---called into a life of discipleship.  It is a cruciform call---a call to live out the cross in our lives in whatever way that comes to us.  This is where I share much with Schumacher.  I am still one of the spared ones. 

Since God drives history, what is my role and will I be obedient?  Those are crucial questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri