Skip to main content

Spiritual Midwife

I come from the generation of Americans who never thought much about the phenomenon of midwifery.  I am not even sure when I first learned of the term or knew exactly what it meant.  In its original meaning, it probably designated those folks who were willing and able to assist women in the birth of a child.  No doubt, virtually all of the midwifes were women.  They were a kind of sage---a woman wise because of her knowledge and experience.  It does not mean that men couldn’t have been a midwife, but it would be rare.  Today, of course, that is changing. 
   
I learned much of what I know from my two daughters.  They used midwives in their labor, delivery and time after the new baby arrived.  Midwives don’t necessarily replace the physician, but they are assistants in the process.  In most cases, the midwife knows enough to help the birthing mother manage the birth.  The doctor is there in an emergency.  Today’s midwife typically has gone through some extensive training.  But there is no substitute for first-hand experience and compassion.
   
Often the midwife is a nurse with even more training.  Or sometimes the midwife is one who accompanies the nurse to make situations even more helpful to the birthing mother and, indeed, whole family.  I know enough to be clear that training plus experience usually is a good thing for anyone in a helping role.  And that is where I want to use the image of the midwife to think about some of the work that I have done.  Of course, this is not unlike work other folks have done, too.
   
I don’t know that I ever have used the image of midwife to describe my teaching and ministry.  Rather unconsciously, I more likely have seen myself in the role of the physician.  Like the physician, I am relatively well-educated.  And like all educated folks, there is what I call an “idol trap,” in which we begin to see ourselves “above others” and “beyond” work beneath our statue.  Of course, I am making fun of myself and hinting at the cynicism professionals sometimes rightly deserve.  To be an effective professional requires a modicum of humility. 
   
And so it is that I find the image of midwife a good one to apply to myself in some of my work.  Let me first state the hero (or heroine) of the story is always the one “giving birth,” whether that is an actual baby or some metaphorical new entity.  When I apply this to my work, the usual “birthing” that happens is something going on in the life of one of my students---the ones I choose to call friends.
   
Let me push the midwife analogy further.  In a college setting with Ph.D.’s all around, it is like being in a situation with a whole bunch of professionals.  So many of us professionals are trying to amp up the students’ knowledge.  Of course, this is a good thing.  Who wants college graduates who are ignorant or ill-informed?  But we all know that too often, knowledge alone is not sufficient for effectiveness.  In the language of spirituality, we also hope to see some wisdom emerge.  And that wisdom typically is tied up with experience.  Like the midwife, students need to find ways to combine knowledge and wisdom born through experience.
   
In my work that is exactly what I see happening.  I try not to come up short on helping students acquire some knowledge.  For example, if someone is going to be a good Jew, Christian, Muslim or Buddhist, some knowledge of the tradition is helpful.  But knowledge usually does not suffice.  All religions have an expectation for some kind of practice and, usually, some kind of expectation that the religion will be a way of life.  This normally includes a requirement for some action on behalf of justice, some hope that compassion will be a practice, etc.
   
So in the work that I am doing, I hope to impart some information that becomes knowledge.  But that is only a start.  Without some practice and other means of gaining some experience, I doubt the students will ever acquire any spiritual wisdom.  And without some wisdom, their spiritual journey will be pretty solipsistic---a fancy word that means privatized and selfish.  And as far as I see, there is no point in that kind of spirituality.  So we need to find ways to have students step out of their heads and explore the heart.  This happens best in things like service.  An act of compassion may be worth much more than another book on compassion.
   
Besides, no one should write a book on compassion without having been compassionate.  This is what a spiritual midwife does.  She or he encourages others in their spiritual births.  Often this comes through practice and undergoing experience more than through lectures.  Encourage someone to learn to meditate or pray.  Help someone in the early stages of yoga, mindfulness or silence.  Assist a youthful spirit to explore solitude and seek to discover the center deep within.
   
Like actual childbirth, giving birth is not always easy and pain free.  It is almost never selfish.  Giving birth is not about you.  It is about the “birth.”  What is being born is a new life in the spirit or a new chance through my compassionate assisting of another.  Being a spiritual midwife is always transcending.  It transcends my own desires, needs and ego.
   
A spiritual midwife is an assistant.  She is an assistant who also can coach, encourage and challenge.  New birth is always the result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri