Skip to main content

Eco Crisis

I am fascinated by titles.  Book titles and titles for articles play a significant role.  They are revelations of what the reader might find if they were to read the book or article.  Sometimes I find titles are quite accurate.  They deliver what they promised.  Other times, I feel like titles are misleading.  They could be a kind of marketing---luring the reader to buy the book, but inside the book I find disappointing material.  Coming up with titles for my own books and articles is not easy.  Perhaps that is why I appreciate titles so much.
   
Recently, I saw a title that linked the eco crisis to an ego crisis.  I thought that was brilliant!  Immediately, I was drawn to read the text.  I assumed, correctly, that the phrase, eco crisis, referred to what more normally is discussed as the global warming problem.  I know there have been many debates about the reality of the climate challenge ahead of us this century.  I admit that I am persuaded by the scientists who point to the evidence that the average temperature of our planet is warming and that it may well cause precipitous problems. 
   
Humans are primarily to blame, it seems certain.  The use of fossil fuels and other human activity has had deleterious effects on our climate.  Because climate change on a global scale happens slowly, it does not seem to be real.  But the problem with this perspective is that once the bad news hits, it will continue to get worse and our options will be limited.  It will not be in my lifetime, but that is not a wild card for me to ignore the issue.  All I need to do is think of my grandkids and know they are sitting ducks for inevitable problems.
   
So we have an eco crisis.  The world is in trouble---but on a sunny day it does not seem like it is true.  Apparently, we know the culprit; it is you, I and the rest of humankind.  And the reason we have blown it is an age-old problem: our own greed.  Of course, greed is usually grounded in some kind of legitimate need.  For example, we need food, but we do not need so much food that we get obese.  We need energy for electricity, etc.  But have we misused nature in order to generate the energy?
   
As I read the article, the author helps me see that the human needs that become human greed is a manifestation of our ego---the “I” or “me” approach that drives so many of us beyond the legitimate need we each have.  Because we all do it, it seems perfectly normal.  And that is the problem.  Let’s trace some of the key points in the article that perhaps helps us see how we can become healers in our world.
   
The article talks about the action of Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, who is President of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue.  Annually, he writes to the Buddhists around the world.  In the latest epistle, he addresses the climate change problem.  He recognizes "a shared understanding that at the center of the eco-crisis is, in fact, an ego-crisis, expressed by human greed, anxiety, arrogance and ignorance," the cardinal said in a message marking the Buddhist celebration of Vesakh, the Buddhist feast celebrating the birth, enlightenment and death of the one called Buddha. 
   
The way forward, he claims, necessitates a “profound interior conversion.”  When he uses this kind of language, he makes it a spiritual issue.  I agree with this assessment.  An interior conversion is the way out of the ego crisis.  The ego crisis is an unhealthy focus on me and my desires.  An unhealthy focus on ego usually means I take it---the ego---to extremes.  I move from need to greed.  My needs are satisfied when I have enough.  When I go beyond enough, I enter the land of greed.  Taken far enough, this becomes a crisis.  This has happened with the climate.
   
Tauran says, "the crisis of climate change is contributed to by human activity, we, Christians and Buddhists, must work together to confront it with an ecological spirituality."  I am attracted to the idea of an ecological spirituality.  This is a spirituality that puts God and the world at the center and not ourselves.  If we can do this, then we cannot become egocentric---the ego at the center.  Of course, this is hard to do.  Of course, it does not feel normal. 
   
The inner conversion is the process by which you and I---all of us---begin to learn to live an eco-centered life.  This won’t seem normal at first.  It probably won’t feel easy.  And it is going to be a little disconcerting when others may have no interest in becoming less egocentric.  But some spiritual leadership will be called for.  We will need those early spiritual pioneers to step up and step out. 
   
My own way of trying to do this is to live more simply.  To choose to live a simple life does not mean we go without.  It does not mean we have to do away with ego---that would be impossible.  But we don’t have to have our ego at the center.  From a spiritual perspective, it is not normal to have our ego at the center.  When we do this, we participate in the actions that lead to the eco crisis. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri