Skip to main content

Thrown-Away Generations

I have a few magazines and periodicals I routinely read simply because they always tell me things I want to know, although I did not even know I want to know it.  That might seem odd until you think of something about which you had no clue.  After learning about it, you are so grateful for learning it.  It is like having a friend tell you things the friend knew you would be interested in knowing.  One of the pieces I routinely read is NCR---the National Catholic Reporter.  For many reasons I am interested in the Catholic world and happenings.  Over time these writers tell me things I did not know but I wanted to know!
   
In a recent volume I learned there is a new book coming out based on interviews with Pope Francis.  So far the book is only out in about three European languages.  The English edition is not due for some time. Carol Glatz, a regular NCR writer, informs me this time.  She has a captivating title for her article on the new book: “Young and old: Two thrown-away generations can save the world, says the Pope.”  The book is by Italian, Thomas Leoncini, and is based on his long interview with Pope Francis.  Intriguingly, the English title reads, God is Young.
   
At first, I was intrigued what are the two thrown-away generations?  I had to laugh, because I am one of them!  The two generations are the young and the old.  I must admit I am still under the illusion I am relevant.  I read on with interest.  Apparently, the book is a how-to guide for what the Pope calls a “revolution of tenderness.”  I really like that term.  Long ago, I became aware historically how often Quaker spirituality used the language of “tenderness.”  That is a wonder descriptor---often used to depict maternal, feminine spirituality.  Maybe that is the key for males to get in touch with and develop that aspect of their spirituality.
   
I am impatient to get the English translation to see specifically what the Pope has in mind with this phrase, a revolution of tenderness.  It sounds like non-violent peace making.  No doubt, what the Pope has in mind is the co-operation of the two generations to initiate and lead that revolution.  I gather Francis wants us to change the world.  That is a tall order, but we all surely agree it needs to be done. 
   
I am not sure how others in my generation will hear this call.  Many of us are retired or hoping to make it soon.  I never thought my choice would be retirement or revolutionary!  It sounds a bit like rest or resistance.  This certainly gives purpose to our waning years.  But when you think about it, this sounds very much like the initial announcement Jesus made as he emerged from the wilderness.  He proclaimed the Kingdom was coming.  That was nothing more than an announcement of a radical change coming to affect the status quo. 
   
Jesus told the earlier followers the Kingdom demanded repentance---metanoia.  I guess this is the spiritual word for revolutionary.  Essentially Jesus observes, you can’t live the old way in the new world.  Of course, he was not talking about America; the new world was the Kingdom world---the world dominated by the Spirit and lived by spiritual women and men.
   
One other thing Glatz does in her article that I appreciate is to include a few quotations from the book.  This gives English readers a foretaste as we wait for the book itself.  Combining some words from the Pope, plus Leoncini, the author, we read this relevant sentence: “The courage, energy and creativity of young people, together with the wisdom and experience of older generations, ‘are the necessary ingredients of the gentle revolution we all deeply need.’”
I can appreciate the identification of what we bring to the table.  We older ones bring wisdom and experience.  I do think I qualify on both counts.  It is true younger folks have more courage, energy and creativity.  It probably is good that many of us are off the hook for courage and energy!
   
Another quotation from the Pope I find touching: “Why don't we love ourselves and the way God made us?  Why are human beings, men and women, increasingly becoming slaves to appearances and to having, forgetting how essential being is?"  Indeed, why don’t we?  It would be wonderful to join younger folks in a discussion about how we think God made us.  In our American culture we do give inordinate attention to appearances and other surface things.  Certainly older ones have seen appearances change over the years.  The younger ones are sitting ducks for the same change.
   
Another papal saying I found to be profound.  Francis laments, “The mindset ‘that holds no particular concern for the environment is the same mindset that throws away the most fragile.’”  So many of all generations do not give a flip about the environment.  In this sense we are all throw-away generations.  It is time for some of us to become revolutionaries.  I am sobered by the Pope’s warning.  If we are a throw-away people, then we are likely to throw away the most fragile. 
   
This seems like no big deal until one day, we all will realize we are fragile.  In some deep way this is how God made us: strong and fragile.  Ultimately, we all need God and each other.  Let’s hope the two throw-away generations can become revolutionaries to make change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri