Skip to main content

By Their Fruits

First it was an email and then a follow-up phone call.  The name I did not recognize.  But as I read the email, clues began to emerge.  The person contacting me was a student in my classes more than three decades ago!  I was not surprised that I did not recognize the name.  He would have been one of twenty or thirty in a class of seven or more classes in my second year of teaching.  There have been hundreds, probably thousands, of students in and out of my life in more than three decades. 

Of course, theologically I would affirm that each of us is a unique human being.  Each of us is created in the image and likeness of God.  Sure, all of us “image” the same God.  But we are not “spitting images” of each other, as my grandfather would say.  So David, as I will call him, was not someone whose name triggered my memory bank. 

Of course, none of us is a name alone.  There must be tens of thousands of guys named David in this country alone.  He may even share a last name with some other Davids.  But he is unique.  Only he---that unique David---has lived his life, has experienced his experiences, and become the child of God he has become.  That David was now contacting me. 

That David, too, has grown up.  He had graduated from college and had gone on to medical school.  He is now a successful physician married to another physician and now has two kids.  One of those kids is college age and David and family were in town to check out my college.  So we met in the parking lot! 

I recognized him when he emerged from the car.  His hair is greying, but so has mine!  It was nice to meet his wife and his two children.  Our conversation was a strange mixture of memories of David and me in a classroom long, long ago and anticipation of what it might be like to have his son in my classroom in some distant future.   

I had to laugh.  There I was---stuck in the middle of the past and the future.  Maybe that is always where the present is lived---stuck in the middle of the past and the future.  Seldom is it so stark as it was in that moment.  In some ways I did not know how to process it.  What was I to make of it?  A few thoughts began to form and to which I can give voice. 

In the first place I give thanks for awareness.  I realize it is a real gift of being human that I can be aware.  I can be aware of a past and aware of a future that I probably have.  Thanks be to God!  I am not traversing life merely by going through the motions.  I am trying to make a difference.  To make a difference is another way of saying I am trying to live my life with meaning and purpose.  I am sure you are, too.

So when David came back into my life through an email, a phone call, and then in person, I had a great chance to see the past become present.  I had not touched his life in more than 30 years was my first thought.  And at the literal level, that was true.  I had not talked to him nor seen him in more than 30 years. 

However, I think there are multiple levels of impact.  The biblical passage from Matthew’s gospel came into my mind.  In the middle of the Sermon on the Mount Jesus says, “By their fruit you will recognize them.” (Mt 7:16)  I laughed again.  I am not prone to having biblical verses pop into my head.  But the verse was perfect and helped me see the situation in a light that I liked. 

David was a fruit of my work more than 30 years ago.  I recall almost nothing I would have done in the class that we had together.  Probably that does not matter.  Apparently, I made in impression and, perhaps, had an impact.  How else would one explain why he would bother to contact me?  I have no favors to offer; there is no special deal coming from me.  All we have are some interesting, mutual memories. 

But he is the fruit of my work.  He gives me a sense of meaning and purpose for what I do.  It cannot be measured in money or other tangible means.  But it is real.  I am lucky to see him at this “fruit stage.”  Thirty some years ago, I was planting seeds in his life.  I was cultivating his potentiality and clear capabilities.  Perhaps, I was sowing hope in his imagination.  Maybe I helped stoke the dream of service than he now renders as a physician and father.  

I feel lucky.  It is easy to work for days, weeks, or even years and have little clue whether one is making a difference.  For long periods I am not aware at all whether there will be any legacy---any fruit that results from the activity.  David has given me assurance that my life and work have born fruit. 

We are all living in the present---sandwiched between the past and the future.  Make sure who you are and what you are doing brings the possibility of making a difference.  Make sure that by your fruit you can be recognized.  In the present there is always that chance and that choice.  Don’t waste it with rotten stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri