One of the fun things about having taught for a pretty long time is a chance to return to some books that I cherish. There are a few authors---living and dead---whom I would read whatever they publish. One of those folks from last century is the monk, Thomas Merton. One of the living writers is Franciscan Richard Rohr. One of his books I have used in class is the book, Everything Belongs. Originally published in 1999, I find it amazingly relevant every time I pull it off the shelf to read again.
In a recent read I bumped into one of my favorite themes Rohr introduced to me which I read that first edition soon after publication. That theme is presented with the polarity of scarcity and abundance. He begins this section with a wonderful quotation from Albert Einstein. Rohr tells us, “At the end of his life, Einstein, with all of his brilliance, said, ‘Now I see that the only question is, ‘Is the universe friendly?’” (69) I smiled when I read this question. I smiled because it poses a question about the universe in a way I never would have thought of doing. It never occurred to me to wonder if the universe is friendly!
I would agree with Rohr when he begins his commentary. He acknowledges, “I have begun to discover its (the universe) physical meanings but the question that haunts me is, ‘Is it friendly?’” Rohr then asks, “Is this whole thing out there on our side or not?” What a great way to pose the question. Often, I have wondered whether someone is on my side or not. When we play on sports’ teams, we know who is on our side and who is not. Frequently, we wear different color uniforms to tell which team is which. But the universe is not as simple to figure out.
Rohr asks further questions. “Is the universe hostile or benevolent?” This makes a great deal of sense. No doubt, there are times I have answered that one way and other times when I felt the opposite. Probably it was my issue and not a changing universe. Rohr poses the same question in a slightly different way. “Is it radically ok or is it not?” When I hear this question, I am stopped by the word, “radically.” I am helped knowing the Latin origin of that word, radical, means “root.” At its root or core, is the universe ok---friendly?
This helps us move away from the day-by-day assessment and asks for a more overall judgment. Overall, is the universe ok? Is it benevolent? Or is the universe not ok and we better watch out, because it is out to get us? Probably because I have been treated relatively well by people in my world, I can say at its root, it is ok. We all have bad days and get bad breaks, but generally it is benevolent. I say this, knowing that death is built into the system. I understand that and don’t see it as a bad deal.
I also realize I don’t know how someone who has been less fortunate than I am would answer that question, is the universe ok. Someone who grows up in an abusive family has much more reason to think the universe stinks. How folks who have mental issues feel about the “ok-ness” of the world may have a take on things I cannot really comprehend. Pondering this, however, leads me to a new place that may well be in the back of Rohr’s mind.
Perhaps the decision about the hostility or benevolence of the universe is a bigger judgment than a single person? Of course, in my own little, private world, I can make a judgment, but that is not a fair judgment for the entire human race and the larger complexity of the universe. After all, this thing is bigger than me! This is where I believe Rohr goes to offer his answer.
He suggests, “The gift of true religion is that it parts the veil, returns us to the garden and tells us our primal experience was trustworthy. It assures us that we live in a benevolent universe, and it is on our side. The universe, it assures us, is radical grace. Therefore, we do not need to be afraid. Scarcity is not the primary experience, but abundance. Knowing this, we can relax and let go.” I find his perspective persuasive. And of course, it is what I would very much like to believe is true. I know ultimately it is a matter of faith.
I’m ok with it being an issue of faith. I recognize that we all must put our faith in something---or nothing. I am going with this view of the universe. Religion has parted the veil for me; I like this image. I like the idea of metaphorically being able to return to the garden---back to Eden. This return allows us to know that originally trustworthiness. That is because ultimately God is involved. God is the ultimate trust partner!
The universe and everything that is contained is in the deal with God. We are individually and corporately related to God---the original trust partner. Even though we had to leave the garden, our relationship did not change. God did not give up on us. The universe is a place where unfortunate and bad things can happen. But they never take us out of relationship with God. And we are never without the hope that all will be well, as Julian of Norwich put it.
If you forget this, return to the garden. Remember and reclaim!
Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber. I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s. It was already a famous book by then. I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it. It has been a while since I looked at the book. Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks? I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece. I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation. I wish more people read him and took him seriously. ...
Comments
Post a Comment