Skip to main content

The Rusty Sky

It was a beautiful sky, as I looked backward from the window of the plane.  I was flying from the West coast heading east.  The plane left the ground of the West coast and climbed into a sky bathed in bright sunshine.  There was not a cloud to be seen.  I knew, however, that the plane would be chasing the impending darkness of the East coast.  That gives a person the surreal sense of the day rushing by.           

Normally, when we watch the coming of dusk, it is slow and subtle.  If we pay attention, we can sense the late afternoon sun begin to give way to softer light.  And then the colors of dusk come and, finally, the darkness of night itself descends.  As a farm boy, I watched that transformation a thousand times.             

But the recent plane ride was different.  And it was at a vastly different speed.  I watched how quickly the brilliance of the day’s sunlight was being subdued.  It was as if I could sense night speeding our way.  I think that is what prompted me to turn around and look back to the west.           

That Western sky was in transition.  It was like seeing daylight meet darkness.  At that meeting spot the sky looked rusty.  Perhaps I have seen that before, but never paid enough attention. But this time, it was riveting.  It left me to ponder.  And for me, pondering is a spiritual exercise.           

The first thing I was pondering was the color of rust.  Again, farm boys know enough about rust!  There are usually a large number of metal things around the farm and many of them begin to rust after too much exposure to rain and moisture.  In this kind of example, rust is not a good thing.  Ultimately, it is destructive.           

But as I pondered further, I realized the color of rusty sky was different.  In this case the rusty color was a natural occurrence of the mixture of certain colors.  No doubt, the sun was at such an angle the light emitted, when mixed with the onrushing darkness made the color look rusty.  It was different than grey, but like grey in the sense that it was a subdued color.  I laughed out loud when I figured out the rusty sky was what happens when the brilliance of the youthful day gets closer to the end.           

Then it hit me.  I had just discovered a metaphor for life.  It makes sense to me to think about death as night.  Death does squelch the vibrancy of life.  When it is good and healthy, life is like the morning of a sunshiny day.  I laughed out loud again.  I am way past noon in my life!  I guess night is coming for all of us.  In keeping with the metaphor, we are all flying---or living---eastward.  Sooner or later, we all fly into the night.  That’s not bad.  That’s natural.           

I am probably nearer to dusk than many who read this.  I am ok with that.  It does not feel morbid to ponder and write it.  I suppose the ultimate joke is we can only live one day at a time any way!  So I am a near-dusk guy.  Hallelujah!          

With that awareness comes a question for myself.  What kind of rusty-sky kind of person can I be…or become?  Let’s look back at the rusty sky for some help.  When I looked back at that rusty sky, I noticed how beautiful it was.  Perhaps at the rusty-sky level of life, I am free to be---and to become---beautiful in profound and deeper ways.  As a teenager, beauty can be a real trap.  Often it means obsessing about things that, fortunately, in the long run don’t matter as much.  I know folks talk about inner beauty, but I think there is something about that.           

As a rusty-sky guy, I want to become as beautiful as I can be.  I want to radiate beauty in the way God intended for me and for everyone.  How about living life such that I am beautifying everyone and everything around me?  What a mission!           

I turned around to catch another glimpse of that rusty sky.  It was awesome.  There was my second cue as a rusty-sky guy.  I can also be or become awesome.  Again, at this stage of life I am free to think about being awesome in a deeper and richer way.  Awesome is not the sole privilege of the Hollywood star or the professional sports guy.             

What about being spiritually awesome?  Surely, Mother Teresa was this kind of awesome person.  It is not nighttime for me yet.  I have plenty of time to become awesome.  Often awesome appears in simple ways.  It can be a smile or a twinkling eye.  It can be a hand---literally or figuratively.           

I appreciate the lessons learned as I flew into the night.  Luckily, living into my own night does not happen at 600mph!  I have time as a rusty-sky guy to become beautiful and awesome.  I think that is just what God would want.  And when night comes, I have a hunch God is going to be pleased and invite me to the party.           

After all, who would not want a beautiful and awesome guy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri