Skip to main content

A Solid Foundation

One of my favorite writers, Richard Rohr, has a daily column in which he meditates on life and spiritual ways to live life.  Those meditations are fairly short.  I enjoy looking at them and seeing how his mind thinks about these kinds of things.  Obviously it is a bit similar to what I do in these reflections, but mine are longer.  Maybe I should take a cue from him!
           
Of course, it would be easier to write something short---maybe a paragraph or two.  But I would miss the chance to ponder issues a little longer and to develop my thoughts a little further.  It is a spiritual discipline for me.  And for those who read it, I hope it is a form of spiritual discipline for you, too.
           
In one of his recent pieces Rohr had a sentence that caught my attention.  This is the kind of kernel of wisdom I look for and on which I have a chance to ruminate.  I like the word, ruminate.  It comes from the Latin word, ruminatus.  That Latin word means to chew the cud.  One thinks of cows or other animals here.  Maybe it is because I grew up on a dairy farm that makes this a favorite metaphor.  I have many memories of watching the cows chomp away on their cud.  They always looked very much at peace and at ease.  To ruminate, then, means to turn something over in your mind---slowly and attentively. 
           
This is what Rohr’s sentence did for me.  Rohr’s sentence says, “You cannot build any serious spiritual house if you do not first find something solid and foundational to build on---inside yourself.”  I suppose it is because I had a couple good English teachers when I was in school that accounts for the fact that I like to diagram and dissect sentences.  For example, the subject of this sentence is “house.”  And that noun has a couple interesting modifiers, namely “serious” and “spiritual.”   A serious spiritual house is a compelling metaphor for the religious life.  It is not one I might have come up with, but I like it.
           
I know it is a metaphor because Rohr talks about building that serious spiritual house “inside yourself.”  That reminds me of the famous sixteenth century saint and monastic, Teresa of Avila.  That Spanish mystic wrote a work that appears as a book in English with the title, The Interior Castle.  She uses this more medieval image to describe where and how we find God---the God within.  Teresa has seven dwelling rooms in this interior castle. 
           
For Teresa the spiritual journey is a journey inwardly.  We move through and into the castle room by room.  There in the center of the castle is the Divinity Itself.  Living our normal lives means most of us are living outside the interior castle---unaware of the castle, much less the God within.
           
I know Richard Rohr is very familiar with Teresa of Avila.  Perhaps he has her in mind when he wrote that sentence.  In many ways his approach is more modern and, therefore, more relevant.  Rohr also makes another significant shift.  He suggests that we “build” this serious spiritual house.  Teresa’s approach was more like a discovery.  We don’t build that castle; we discover it and then enter it. 

I like both images: fabricating (or making) the house and discovering (or finding) the castle.  Maybe these represent two different spiritual approaches.  In some cases we need to be builders.  In other cases we need to be explorers and discoverers.  They both require a certain amount of energy, but it is different kind of energy.  When I think about myself this day, I conclude I am more into the builder-phase.  Perhaps that is why Rohr’s sentence caught my eye.
           
But it was at this point I had to laugh.  Inside his sentence about building this spiritual house, Rohr also makes use of the mode of finding.  Pay attention to the sentence as we continue to dissect it.  In order to build this serious spiritual house within ourselves, Rohr says we need to “find something solid and foundational to build on.”  Pursuing the metaphor a bit further, I realize Rohr is telling us that the finding mode precedes the building mode.  And that makes perfect sense.
           
We all know we will have to build our own serious spiritual house.  And we know that we will build it inside ourselves.  I can’t build yours and you cannot build my spiritual house.  I am sure, however, we can help each other.           

Perhaps one of the key ways we can help each other is to look together for that solid and foundational place to build our spiritual house.  Perhaps one key way we do that for each other is to get to know each other well enough that we can let each other into our inner places.  For example, I think I am dependable.  If you can affirm that, I believe I have found a solid and foundational place to start construction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri