Skip to main content

Spirit Words


When I was taking Latin in high school, my heart was not really into it.  I was doing it because someone told me I should do it.  I don’t actually remember the reason why I should do it, but I did it.  As with many things in life, in retrospect I wished I had put more into it.  I did not do anything with Latin while I was in college.  But then to my surprise, I went on to graduate studies.  A theological degree led to a doctoral degree.  It turns out, I had to do more Latin. 

My doctoral studies focused on the early Christian centuries.  I became fascinated with the early church.  How did a little known Palestinian Jew, Jesus, gather a motley band of disciples, get killed and in the process became the most famous person in world history?  And how did that motley little crew somehow manage to survive the death of their leader and sow the kernel seeds of what would become a worldwide movement that today numbers more than two billion people?  That story still fascinates me.

Those early figures in Christian history I studied almost all were writing in either Latin or Greek.  So I began to take my Latin more seriously.  Again, I wish I had paid more attention and really nailed it.  But it is still serviceable.  And for me, Latin became a kind of revelation of language.  I learned that root meaning of words were amazingly insightful.

For example, I think of our English word, spirit.  You can write it either spirit or Spirit and suggest different meanings.  It is remarkable what a capital letter does to a word!  I know our English word comes from the Latin, spiritus.  That is an easy translation!  But it means so much more than our English word, spirit.  The Latin, spiritus, can also be translated “breath.”  That opens up yet a whole new world.

Spirit language, then, means the breath or air that I breathe.  Breathing enables me and you to live.  Without spirit we literally cannot live.  For me this has theological connections, too.  I understand God’s nature to be spirit.  I describe it simply: God is Spirit.  That means God is also Breath.  I like to think that God is indeed that which inhabits me in my breathing.  Literally God is keeping me alive.

This drives me toward other spirit words.  The Latin verb for spiritus is spiro.  Again this is revealing.  If we continue with the breathing idea, we can talk about taking in a breath.  We can use the Latin preposition, in, to make the compound word: in-spiro: inspire!  Inspiration is a divine in-breathing.  Inspiration is the Spirit coming to dwell within us---it is having the Spirit breathing into us.  Latin tells us that inspiration is a divine-human encounter---and divine-human exchange.

At the other end of life, we all know that we die.  One revealing way to talk about this is to say the person expired.  Again, using Latin expire uses another Latin preposition, ex, which means “out of.”  To expire means literally to “breath out.”  In a radical way, expire means that we breathe out our last breath.  Literally, the Spirit leaves us.  There is nothing animating us anymore.  Our body becomes a corpse.

There is one more word that we can consider, namely, the word, aspire.  Not surprisingly, this uses yet a third Latin preposition, ad, which means “to” something or some end.  When you hook that preposition to our word, spiro, the “d” drops off and we get aspiro---aspire in English. 

Aspirations are those longings or desires we have that literally are our breathings (or even pantings) for something or to some end.  In this spiritual sense, aspirations do have something to do with the Spirit.  Personally, I have aspirations to be a child of God.  I want to be a child of the Spirit. 

I can imagine that inspiration and aspiration are tied together.  As I an inspired by the Spirit, so do I aspire to the Spirit.  Inspiration operates at two levels.  At the concrete level, inspiration is the basic inbreathing of God’s Spirit that keeps me alive.  It is the breath I breathe.  At the figurative level, inspiration is the special dose of the Spirit that God gives to take me to a new, inspirational level.  We become inspired to speak, sing, live prophetically, etc.  We become inspired to love our neighbor as our self.

I hope I can live inspirationally and aspirationally before I expire.  I know some day I will breathe my last breath.  The Spirit will leave me and I no longer will have spirit.  We can speculate on what that means for any future “I” might have.  But that is another piece.

In this present moment---while I still have breath/spirit---I want to be open to the Spirit’s inspiration.  And I want to act on and act out the Spirit’s call on my life.  I want to be spiritually aspirational.  I want my life to count.  I will count my blessings as I count on the Spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri