I have debated about dealing with the recent issue swirling about the issue about baptism within the Roman Catholic Church. It concerns a story coming out of the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix about baptism. That story has caused a firestorm of controversy for the Catholics of that area and around the country. Of course, I am not Catholic; I am a lifelong Quaker. I like to hang out with Catholics. I have done some fairly serious reading and some writing about sacraments, but I also realize I have no right to offer Catholicism any advice on how they should understand or practice baptism.
I had decided not to comment until I
read a recent article by Kimberly Roland, whom I do not know. Reading her bio reveals that she is a “cradle
Catholic” and a native of the Phoenix Diocese.
She is also vice president of Innovation and Entrepreneur Programs for
Better Business Bureau. So she is not a
professional theologian, but she has been baptized and raised in a Catholic
environment. She went to Catholic
schools and graduated from Notre Dame. I
saw no reason that she has an ax to grind with her faith.
The background of the story concerns
Father Andres Arango, a priest in that Diocese.
On Jan. 14, 2022 Bishop Thomas Olmsted officially announced that the
baptisms performed by Fr Andres for some twenty years were declared
invalid. For a Quaker and for countless
non-religious persons, our response might be to wonder who cares? We would not have a clue what a “valid”
baptism is anyway! But I know enough to
know who might care. Anyone of the
countless people baptized by this priest would care. For example, if your baptism is invalid, that
means all the other sacraments you might have participated in also were
invalid.
Rather than piping up with my
opinions, I would prefer to let Roland speak.
She makes a great deal of sense to me.
And I would also like to know what the Diocesan Bishop would say and,
even, know what the Pope might think. I
knew what the nub of the problem is. It
seems that in baptizing infants and adults who were joining the Catholic
Church, Fr Andres said “we baptize” instead of “I baptize.” This is an incorrect formula. I quote the Bishop: “As
the chief shepherd of the Diocese of Phoenix and as your spiritual father, I am
charged with the responsibility of being vigilant over the celebration of the
sacraments. It is my duty to ensure that
the sacraments are conferred in a manner that is in keeping with the commands
of Jesus Christ in the Gospel and the requirements of sacred tradition.”
I add one
more line from the Bishop to show how he (and Rome) understands things. “The issue with using ‘We’ is that it is not
the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Christ alone,
who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes.” Again, I say that I can have opinions on
Christian baptism, but I have no say in how Catholic interpret Jesus
understanding of baptism and how Catholics should perform their baptisms. But I think Roland has a right to be heard
and I quote her.
Roland is
very clear where she stands when she states, “The elaborate website built to
condemn Father Andrés wreaks of pharisaical bureaucracy in a diocese riddled
with decades of scandals, lawsuits, and missteps, particularly with the
handling, or mishandling, of a multitude of child molestation and sexual abuses
at the hands of criminal priests.”
Obviously, that is a blunt statement.
While I may empathize with Kim Roland, I also wince for the Church
leaders, like Bishop Olmsted, who has to enforces the rules as he understands
them.
A key point
in Roland’s critique is focusing on “we” instead of “I” is dealing with a
molehill when there is a mountain of other problems which are bigger and more
concerning. Again, that makes sense to
me. I quote her at length because she
raises a good point. “More importantly:
Does Jesus care? While erudite
theologians far more educated in canon law than I may debate the sacramental
formula, my opinion is one based in pragmatic reality, Catholic social
teaching, and the biblical knowledge that Jesus was baptized by his cousin in
the Jordan River and not too fond of bureaucratic Pharisees.”
Just as
importantly, we can ask is this the kind of thing that turns off young folks
and seekers of the Spirit. Of course, I
don’t know the answer to that. Does it
seem to elevate the institution of the church above the individuals within the
church and those wanting to come into the church? I don’t know, but I do know I don’t want to
have to defend it. Having said that, I
also empathize with Bishop Olmsted, who is the one who has to act and to make
public something I can only imagine he wishes he did not have to do. After all, he did not make up the rule.
At the end,
I step back from this story and talk about it in my own terms. My understanding of the church is a community
of believers who join in a common question to live lives in the Spirit and to
be the presence of God in the world. The
sacraments---in this case, baptism---is meant to incorporate an individual into
the community and recognize the relationship with Christ.
The bottom
line for me is about grace. Being
brought into relationship with God is an opportunity for grace. And being part of the community is an ongoing
experience of grace. Grace is a gift---a
gift from God and from God’s people. I
have no questions about that. How
baptism fits into that is a different, but related, issue. I recognize there are questions about
that. Roland asked the trickiest
question, however; does Jesus care?
Comments
Post a Comment