Skip to main content

Wisdom from a Rabbi

When folks see the title of this inspirational piece, they might guess I am going to do something with Jesus, the Jewish rabbi.  I am not.  Instead, I am going to share some wisdom from another Jewish rabbi, Jonathan Sachs, a British Jewish rabbi who died very recently.  He was a world-renown rabbi since he held the daunting title, Office of the Chief Rabbi, having been appointed in 1991.  Effectively, he was the Jewish counterpart to the Archbishop of Canterbury.  He was appointed to this post and served for twenty-two years, retiring in 2013.  In 2010 he was interviewed by Krista Tippett, who shared this On Being interview again at the time of his death.

Tippett always asks the interviewee about their childhood experience and spirituality.  Sachs shared that he had no intent to become a rabbi.  But then the Six Day War in Israel affected him deeply, so he began reading some Jewish history and theology.  He said he was intrigued by the question, what does it mean to be a Jew?  I guess we can say that he answered this with his life and work!

Tippett then asked the rabbi if he was surprised that religion had risen to the surface of contemporary life and politics?  “No, actually,” was his retort.  He then cited a British lecture series he did in 1990 where he offered the title, “The Persistence of Faith.”  This time, if you recall, came on the heels of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of Communism.  It was an optimistic time when folks thought democracy might sweep the world and all would be good.  It was at this point, Sachs claimed, that he said “you’re going to see faith return and return in a way that will cause some problems because the most powerful faith in the modern world will be the faith most powerfully opposed to the modern world.”

Sachs continued by noting that “Religion is a great power and anything that powerful can be a force for good or, God forbid, for evil.”  Clearly, we have seen this in the days since 1990 when he foretold this.  Rabbi Sachs thinks too many of us are afraid of the stranger.  He rightly observes that much of the world until recent times saw people living with people very much like themselves.  That certainly was true for me, as I grew up in rural Indiana.  Interestingly, Sachs says that now if you “walk down the average Main Street…you will encounter in ten minutes more anthropological diversity than and 18th-century traveler would have encountered in a lifetime.”  So true!

Sachs makes an interesting move in this interview.  He turns to what most of us know as the two great commandments in the Jewish Bible and Christian Bible: love God and neighbor.  He sees love as the key to living with the diversity that now characterizes us.  It is the Jewish way, the Christian way and, I dare say, the Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist and the rest.  Then he shared a sentence that strikes me as profound.  “This sense that we are enlarged by the people who are different from us---we are not threatened by them---needs cultivating, can be cultivated, and would lead us to see the 21st century as full of blessing, not full of fear.”

I deeply appreciate the idea of becoming enlarged by people different from me.  I believe this to be true.  My travels around the globe have confirmed that is my experience.  When I am in Shanghai, I do feel like I am the stranger---I am the one who is different.  When I am in St. Petersburg, Russia, it is a little more difficult to see me as the stranger.  Most folks in that wonderful city are white.  But it does not take long to realize I am the stranger.  I don’t fit the situation.  Language is only part of it.  

This is when the Rabbi gets to the point of sharing his wisdom.  Once I hear him or read him, I realize it is the wisdom of his tradition for 4,000 years.  And it is like my wisdom from my tradition.  The key to a good and happy life?  “We know that it is doing good to others, a network of strong and supportive relationships, and a sense that one’s life is worthwhile are the three greatest determinants of happiness.  These three are pretty simple.  But they have to be acted upon.  They are not just ideas.

Doing good to others is first---to all others.  We cannot limit doing good only to our friends.  Jesus said something to us about that!  Developing a network of good relationships.  I hear the Rabbi telling us to make and value our friends.  And don’t discount family.  This is even more important in our world when so many of us are online.  Are your relationships nurturing and nourishing?  Do you do it for others?  We can even ask, do you feel loved?  Do you feel like you belong?  Those are basic to being well.

Finally, the Rabbi tells us to create a life that feels worthy.  For sure, that beats living a life that feels worthless.  It is a matter of economics---net worth.  Worthiness has more to do with virtue, friendship and for many of us, God.  Just some wisdom from a Rabbi…

It’s good enough for me!

Comments

  1. Our true net worth is what we have contributed to humanity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri