Skip to main content

On Social Friendship

The title for this inspirational piece comes directly from Pope Francis’ most recent encyclical.  When I say “recent,” that would mean yesterday!  The Pope entitles this encyclical, Fratelli Tutti, which is Italian for “brothers all,” even though clearly the Pope means brothers and sisters all.  In some ways it is unfortunate that the Pope did not use a gender-neutral term to address “all of humanity.”  This has caused a little consternation even among Catholics in the time leading up to its publication.  I know many will say what’s the big deal, but as a husband and father of two daughters, I hate for them to have “to understand” they also are included.  

Obviously, the Italian word, Fratelli, sounds a great deal like our English word, fraternity.  Indeed, it should because a fraternity is a social unit of brothers.  We also know about sororities and those are for the women.  Effectively, the Pope is addressing the entire world as it is both a fraternity and sorority---as a unified group of human beings.  It does not matter that I am not a Catholic; I can still see myself in the document and hope you, too, can see yourself.  In God’s eyes surely we are all brothers and sisters.

The word “encyclical” literally means a “circular letter.”  It is global and addresses global issues.  I want to look at the beginning of the circular letter and intend in the following days to look at more of the contents.  My hope is to raise the awareness of all of us.  If there are 1.2 billion Catholics in the world (yep, that’s correct!), then somewhere between one in three or four people in the world is a Catholic.  For a Quaker, I can tell you, that is mind-numbing!  We ought to know something about a document that is the highest level a Pope can publish.

Appropriately, the Pope opens with some words and thoughts of Saint Francis of Assisi, the thirteenth saint after whom the Pope is named.  In fact, the opening words, Fratelli Tutti, are from the saint himself.  The Pope says, “With these words, Saint Francis of Assisi addressed his brothers and sisters and proposed to them a way of life marked by the flavour of the Gospel.” (1:1)  This is an important opening sentence and reveals the purpose of the papal encyclical.  The Pope is encouraging us all to consider “a way of life” and then actually to live it.  The way of life is flavored by the gospel.  That is the gospel way of life in which Jesus lived- to which he called each and all of us.

As we read further, we know that the Pope is detailing what this way of gospel living means.  I am not surprised the focus on love.  In fact, the second sentence of the document heads that direction.  “Of the counsels Francis offered, I would like to select the one in which he calls for a love that transcends the barriers of geography and distance, and declares blessed all those who love their brother ‘as much when he is far away from him as when he is with him.’”  Again, the Pope is quoting Saint Francis in the Saint’s work, Admonitions.  On a side note, it is beginning to be easy to see why our current Pope chose the name, Francis.

So the gospel way of living is all about love.  Fair enough and not surprising, we might be saying.  But notice how the Pope already begins to detail what kind of love he is talking about and that he wants us to incorporate in our lives.  It is a love that transcends barriers of geography and distance.  Immediately, what popped into my mind was the borders we build on the margins of “our” country.  Of course, we think about it is our country.  But in the eyes of God, I am far less sure.  

The Pope does not deal in this place with the thorny issue of migration and immigration.  As I type this, I am very aware of our current attempt to build a bigger, more daunting wall on our southern border.  Because it is quite far from where I am writing this, I don’t have to think about it nor deal with it.  And yet, it is easy for me to remember only recently ICE (US Immigration and Customs Enforcement) rounded up dozens of immigrants---some indeed illegal--- and deported them from the county next to my home.  Almost all of them were working low-paying, hard jobs that most Americans will not do.

I am not suggesting I know the answer.  I do want to side with the Pope and with Jesus and say I want to be guided by a gospel way of living.  What is the most loving thing to do in any situation is often quite difficult to discern?  But we need to be clear about our commitment.  

I like the papal admonition to declare blessed all those whom we love---whether near or far away.  I want to commit to this love ethic, even though in any given situation, I may not clearly know what that means.  But I know my doctor daughter operates under the Hippocratic Oath, which in part says, “first, do no harm.”  Whatever love means, that surely is a good starting place.  In this sense we can all be doctors of the Spirit committed to the gospel way of a loving life.

That is the beginning of social friendship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.           ...

Walk the White Line

I was not very far into my run/walk yesterday, when I noticed them.   It was a gorgeous fall day.   It was warm, the sun shone brilliantly in the sky and the leaves are turning multiple colors.   It was a good day to be alive and to be outside.   Besides it was more fun than reading and grading papers!   I noticed ahead of me on the other side of the road a bunch of kids and two adults.   They were just emerging from a yard and were coming toward me on the side of the road that has no sidewalk.   It is not a hugely traveled road, but there are quite a few cars and the road is relatively narrow.   From what I was guessing, there were two mothers and five kids as I differentiated the pack unfolding one person at a time.   Naturally, the kids bolted to the front, forming a single line to include the mothers at the tail of the line.   I was not paying close attention as I loped along in my own little world.   But then I heard thes...

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was f...