Skip to main content

Spiritual Truths

No one ever makes it to adulthood alone.  For many of us, our first shapers were our parents.  And then, there were teachers, friends and sometimes even a few enemies.  A number of times I have been through an exercise to recall important, formative members of my past.  It is an easy list to pull out of my memory.  Because I am getting older, many of the names on my list are now dead.  But that does not mean their influence necessarily stopped.

Some of the people who have had a formative role in my life are people I never met.  Again, some of them are deceased.  In fact, some have been dead for centuries.  I think of people like the Apostle Paul, Augustine, and the Buddha.  Others died much more recently.  Here I think of people like Thomas Merton, my favorite monk, and Thomas Kelly, one of my favorite Quakers whom I never met.  Their writings played a key role in my spiritual development.

And then, there are the people who have influenced me and who still are living.  Because they still live, many of them continue to influence me.  Some I know very well and others I have only met once or twice.  People in this later category would have no idea how influential they have been in my life.  Among the people who fit here is Richard Rohr.  Rohr is basically my age.  He grew up in Kansas in a Roman Catholic family.  As he became more seriously involved in his spiritual pilgrimage, he was led to become a Franciscan friar.

Rohr has published many books.  And he also has a daily blog.  I have nearly daily interactions with Rohr, for which I am grateful.  Recently in one of his pieces he listed five things that I want to call spiritual truths.  They are important truths.  I see them as stepping stones to spiritual maturity.  I don’t think you can grow very much until you begin to understand the truth of each one.  As you do, you will be free to grow and mature into the spiritual person God wants from each of us.

Here are the five spiritual truths.  We can look briefly at each one.
1. Life is hard.
2. You are not that important.
3. Your life is not about you.
4. You are not in control.
5. You are going to die.

I don’t care how pampered you might be as you grow up, at some point each of us is going to realize life is hard.  Inevitably there will be some pain and suffering.  Things will not always go right.  There are many other things that will remind us that life is hard.  But life can always have meaning and purpose.  That is what spirituality provides us.

The second spiritual truth is one that people have different ways of learning.  For some of us, it is hard to learn that we are not that important.  This must be especially true for the stars and heroes of our age.  Social media turns some folks into larger-than-life figures.  It might be hard for them to learn they are not that important.  I like to make the difference between being important and special.  None of us are that important.  But every one of us is special---at least, special in the eyes of God.  After all, we were created in the image of God.

The third truth pronounces that my life is not about me.  The purpose of this truth is to lead us away from an egocentric, self-centered way of life.  If your life is not about something bigger than yourself, then ultimately life will be disappointing.  Becoming spiritual puts us on the path of knowing this truth.

The fourth truth says that we are not in control.  This is a tough lesson for all of us who control and manipulate our way through life.  But deep down, we know that we are not in control.  As I understand this truth, it frees me up to be a partner with God in the work of healing the world.

Finally, we are going to die.  Coming to terms with this will ultimately free us.  We will be freed to live in love instead of fear.  See appropriately, it is good news, not scary of bad news.  To be fully spiritual is to know all five truths---and be free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri