Skip to main content

Called From Beyond

So often, my spiritual education comes in ways I could not have imagined.  I appreciate the fact that I continue to be spiritually educated.  Part of me worries that I could have long periods of life when no education was happening.  I understand “dry periods,” as we Quakers describe those times when there seems to be no presence or movement of the Spirit.  During these times, I am content to wait, to stay disciplined and be engaged in the process.
           
My spiritual education is fairly predictable as a happening.  What is unpredictable is the particular kind of education I might receive.  Here variety seems to be the fare of the day.  I am quite content with that.  Who am I always to know what I need to know?  As long as I keep learning, then I will be true to the spirit of the Latin and Greek words for “disciple,” namely a “student” or “learner.”
           
The other thing I notice is there often is a pattern for my spiritual education.  It is a three-point pattern.  First comes some kind of experience.  Then there is a period of reflection.  And finally, the spiritual lesson, teaching or, sometimes, reminder comes my way.  The key for me is to continue being open to whatever experiences I have.  And then, it is important to take some time to reflect.  I am amazed how so many people allow no time or take no time to reflect on life.  I am sure no reflection equals missed opportunities.
           
I would like to share a recent spiritual lesson that follows the pattern outlined.  It was a gift; I had not asked for a spiritual lesson and I was not really expecting it.  It was late one afternoon when I received a call that my car was ready for me.  I had left it with a repair shop near my campus.  In part I use this shop because I can leave the car and walk to my study and spend the day doing my normal thing.  So late that afternoon, I hiked back to the car shop.
           
I had already crossed the street, almost ready to enter the shop.  Suddenly, I could hear my name being called from beyond.  I became aware the call of my name had come from the other side of the street I had just crossed.  When it registered that my name was being called, I wheeled around and saw a young woman I knew very well.  She is a recent graduate of the college, a former student and close friend with whom I still am in contact.  I crossed back to her side of the street, embraced her and chatted for a few minutes.  It was a pleasant experience.
           
That could be the end of the story.  But I brought some reflection to the experience and began to receive a spiritual lesson which I am sharing here.  As with most stories, there is a literal level and a figurative, metaphorical level.  At the literal level, a young woman I know hailed me from beyond, we connected and it was a pleasant exchange on my way to get my car.
           
At the metaphorical level, the experience became even richer.  Someone called my name.  Someone wanted me!  Had someone across the street simply yelled, I probably would have turned around to see what was happening.  But to have my name called meant the call was for me.  I was being singled out and hailed.  This feels special.
           
To feel special means in some sense that I was wanted.  Someone wanted me.  It was pure grace.  I had done nothing to cause it or deserve it.  I had not gone looking for it and, frankly, was surprised that it happened.  I had not planned on a trip to get my car turning into a moment of grace.  How good is that!
           
Not only was I called, but I was indeed wanted.  When I moved toward the person who was calling, I was embraced.  Anyone who has ever been rejected by any one for any reason knows the wonder of being embraced.  Again, it does not get any better than this!  You are wanted, wooed and welcomed.  Perhaps that is too much to load on the innocuous story I am telling, but I do believe the seeds are in the metaphorical interpretation that was my spiritual lesson.
           
It won’t be surprising that my spiritual lesson is the suggestion that this is exactly how God is present in our world and so often present in life.  I think God is always on the other side of the normal streets of our lives.  God is always attempting to call our names from beyond.  I think it normally is a call from beyond because the way we routinely live our lives, we are not aware that God is right there where we are all the time.
           
Like the young woman, I am convinced that God calls each of us by name.  Our name identifies us.  While my name is not unique---others have the same name---it is mine and it was my name being called.  The same will be true for you, too.  You are wanted.  You are being wooed---wooed from just across the street!  And you will be welcomed, embraced and blessed when you cross the street into God’s Presence.  How good is that!           

Listen up.  You never know when you will be called from beyond. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.           ...

Walk the White Line

I was not very far into my run/walk yesterday, when I noticed them.   It was a gorgeous fall day.   It was warm, the sun shone brilliantly in the sky and the leaves are turning multiple colors.   It was a good day to be alive and to be outside.   Besides it was more fun than reading and grading papers!   I noticed ahead of me on the other side of the road a bunch of kids and two adults.   They were just emerging from a yard and were coming toward me on the side of the road that has no sidewalk.   It is not a hugely traveled road, but there are quite a few cars and the road is relatively narrow.   From what I was guessing, there were two mothers and five kids as I differentiated the pack unfolding one person at a time.   Naturally, the kids bolted to the front, forming a single line to include the mothers at the tail of the line.   I was not paying close attention as I loped along in my own little world.   But then I heard thes...

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was f...