Skip to main content

Pettiness or Profundity

In a reading for class I hit a line in Kathleen Norris’ book, The Cloister Walk, that struck a chord in me.  I know I had read the passage before, but somehow it never hit me like it did this time.  It is in a chapter Norris calls, “Generations.”  The chapter talks about how there are generations of monks within a monastery, just like there can be generations within a family.  I never thought about that, but it rings true.           

Norris begins a paragraph with these words.  “Monastic storytelling is a form of gossip, and like the best gossip, it often serves a moral purpose.” I had to laugh at that thought.  Most people I know probably do gossip (as I confess to doing on occasion), but probably most of us would deny that we do it!  Norris then moves on to indicate there are some dangers in the monastic life.  And I don’t doubt that.  Then she writes the line that I very much liked.  Norris says, “Monks and nuns are not all sweetness and light---they’re ordinary human beings---and I’ve been told by Benedictines that one of the greatest dangers in monastic life is to succumb to pettiness.”           

As you probably know, pettiness is being preoccupied with the little things in life.  To be petty is to be concerned with the narrow or the unimportant things in our lives.  It is to be so preoccupied that we miss the bigger picture and the important things in life. To be petty is like clutching the penny when we could have had the dollar!  Once more, I wish I could say that I don’t know a thing about being petty, but that would be a lie.           

I can best understand pettiness when I relate it to another issue.  To be specific, my pettiness is probably related to my ego.  My ego is usually revealed in the pronouns, “I” and “me.”  Of course, you cannot assume everything about the ego is bad.  It is appropriate to think about things like, “I should take care of myself.”  Self-care is certainly important.  And it would be better if more of us did self-care well.  So not all ego focus is bad.           

But ego focus can be less than good or appropriate.  I typically get at this less-than-good aspect of the ego when I realize I am being egocentric.  Fairly early in life I would hear someone say, “Oh, he is so egocentric!”  A comparable statement would be something like, “Oh, I just wish she would get over herself!”  To be egocentric is to think the world revolves around me.  Put more literally, I am the center of the world---ego-centered or egocentric.  To be egocentric says that I am the most important---or, perhaps, the only important one.  You don’t count!           

If pettiness is a less than desirable characteristic, how can we get beyond or around it?  That is a spiritual question and deserves a spiritual answer.  In a word I believe we can get over being petty when we learn to be profound.  Let me be clear how I am using the term, profound.  To be profound is in one sense intellectual.  But it is not intellectual in the sense of IQ.  Some of us have average IQs and others may be a genius.  Allow me to coin a term.  Profundity is more a measure of PQ: profundity quotient.             

PQ probably has more to do with wisdom, not simply intellectual IQ.  We all know the high IQ type, who really is an idiot in real life.  A profound person is someone who always seems to have an answer, a suggestion, or even “opening” into a better way.  The profound person often has the insight into the big picture and just the right approach to make things different or better.           

Indeed, the idea of insight is a chief characteristic of the profound person.  Profundity strikes us as so insightful or perceptive.  When someone says something profound, I am left thinking, “how did you come to know that?”  In this sense Jesus and the Buddha were really profound human beings.  No one would describe them as petty!  I am pretty convinced those true followers of Jesus or the Buddha, as well as the true Jews and Hindus and others, are not petty either.  I am sure that any true believer who “gets it,” cannot possibly be petty any longer.  To become a believer is, at the same time, to become a doer.  We give up our petty ways and enroll in the “life of profundity” program.           

Finally, I am confident that profound people are deep people---or are on the way to becoming deep people.  Of course, this suggests that petty people are shallow people.  They probably don’t think of themselves that way (why would anyone who is egocentric think he or she is shallow!).  But I would argue all egocentric people and behavior is ultimately shallow.           

If it can only be “me,” then there is no place for “we.”  I think profundity is too big, too deep, for just me.  Profundity is big-picture insight.  Egocentric---just-me thinking---cannot possibly be big-picture.  But now comes the trick---the spiritual trick.           

Profundity is not simply something to know.  Profundity is something to be and to do.  That is the spiritual part.  The spiritual part is learning to be profound and, then, doing my life profoundly.  That is my choice and my chore.  Christians call it discipleship.  Jesus says, “Follow me.”  Choosing the chore of following him is profound!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.           ...

Walk the White Line

I was not very far into my run/walk yesterday, when I noticed them.   It was a gorgeous fall day.   It was warm, the sun shone brilliantly in the sky and the leaves are turning multiple colors.   It was a good day to be alive and to be outside.   Besides it was more fun than reading and grading papers!   I noticed ahead of me on the other side of the road a bunch of kids and two adults.   They were just emerging from a yard and were coming toward me on the side of the road that has no sidewalk.   It is not a hugely traveled road, but there are quite a few cars and the road is relatively narrow.   From what I was guessing, there were two mothers and five kids as I differentiated the pack unfolding one person at a time.   Naturally, the kids bolted to the front, forming a single line to include the mothers at the tail of the line.   I was not paying close attention as I loped along in my own little world.   But then I heard thes...

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was f...