Skip to main content

With Passion

My involvement in an arena where innovation is the focus has brought to light some interesting points.  Not surprisingly but appreciatively, I realize there are important connections with the spiritual arena in which I am normally doing my work.

Possibly the most important conception with respect to innovation is passion.  Before I began to be involved in the world of innovation, I would never have guessed that passion was the superstar.  No doubt, I would have missed the crucial role it plays because it is a given.  And once the process of innovation is underway---once we see an innovator at work---we do not always see up front the passion.  But passion is the energy, the desire, and the drive to initiate an innovation process.

It is important to differentiate innovation from invention.  Clearly, someone who invents something is an innovator.  Thomas Edison is one of the more famous inventors in our American history.  Bill Gates and the Microsoft world is doubtlessly the richest in my memory.  He has done very well for a college dropout!

And that is a related theme of passion.  Bill Gates already had a dream and the passion---desire, drive, and energy---to begin to pull it off.  That actually got in the way of finishing college.  I wonder if his mom wondered whether he could get a job!

Clearly, Bill Gates is a very bright guy.  But more importantly, he had passion.  Had he been content with just being bright, he would have finished his Harvard undergraduate degree and, perhaps, moved on to graduate school.  I could imagine this career track would have him teaching computer science in some well-known university.  He would have done well, but I would likely never have heard of him.

So it is passion more than brains that propel the innovative process.  What I also know is an innovator with passion can find smart people to help fill in the gaps of the innovator’s skills and knowledge.  For example, if I need to know certain aspects of the law, I do not need to go to law school.  I simply hook up with a lawyer.  That is much more efficient.  Besides, law school always seemed boring to me!

And now the connection to spirituality.  Perhaps, it is already becoming obvious.  Think of the major innovators in the religious traditions.  I think immediately of the “biggies.”  For sure, there are Moses, Jesus, Confucius, Mohammed, and the Buddha.  One can go to the sub-sets in any particular major tradition.  If we stick to Christianity, we think of Martin Luther, John Wesley, and others would come to mind.  They all had passion.

Many folks can have a vision.  But they often go to bed, go to sleep, and wake up and keep doing what they always have done.  An innovator has a passion that will not let him or her go.  The innovator is passionately drawn to a new way…to a renewing of the old way.

In what might be seen as a quirky move, I can even imagine the call to discipleship as a call to be an innovator.  If we heed the call into the discipleship of spirituality, we open ourselves to being renewed.  We begin to participate in a process which will make us over.  We agree to become new women and new men.

Without passion we cannot sustain this transforming process.  We, too, will figuratively go to be, go to sleep, and wake up tomorrow the same old woman or man we always have been.

The passion of spirituality calls us to be new people and to do new things.  And passion sustains this newness into growth.  And passion nurtures the growth into maturity.  And passion produces the saints of every major religious tradition.

And the minute I say, “oh, I cannot be a saint,” I should realize I am not an innovator.  At some point, my spirituality is committed to the old way.  There’s nothing wrong with this.  But it is not the fullness of life promised by the Spirit.  I know I want more….you, too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.           ...

Walk the White Line

I was not very far into my run/walk yesterday, when I noticed them.   It was a gorgeous fall day.   It was warm, the sun shone brilliantly in the sky and the leaves are turning multiple colors.   It was a good day to be alive and to be outside.   Besides it was more fun than reading and grading papers!   I noticed ahead of me on the other side of the road a bunch of kids and two adults.   They were just emerging from a yard and were coming toward me on the side of the road that has no sidewalk.   It is not a hugely traveled road, but there are quite a few cars and the road is relatively narrow.   From what I was guessing, there were two mothers and five kids as I differentiated the pack unfolding one person at a time.   Naturally, the kids bolted to the front, forming a single line to include the mothers at the tail of the line.   I was not paying close attention as I loped along in my own little world.   But then I heard thes...

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was f...