Skip to main content

Practice Walking

I have been dealing with spiritual disciplines for a long time now.  In theory anyone who begins to live the spiritual life takes on some disciplines to grow in that life.  The spiritual life is like human life.  We begin as babies and grow into our potential.  As humans this is inevitable.  Once we are born, we need food to grow.  But if we are fed, our bodies begin to develop.  Babies inevitably learn to crawl and walk.  So it is with the spiritual life.           

As nearly as I can recall, I engaged some spiritual disciplines at a certain point in high school.  Although I meant well, I don’t think I was ready.  Doubtlessly, my commitment was weak.  I think I was more committed to girls and basketball!  My priorities were clear and spirituality was not at the top.  I don’t feel badly about that; I was young and full of life.           

At some point, life changes for all of us.  I got married and others were much better at basketball than I was.  I could play for fun, but certainly no one was going to pay me to play.  Basketball was not going to answer the deeper meaning in life.  And even being married does not necessary solve the mysteries of life.  Through college those questions about meaning in life became more pressing.  It was the late ‘60s with all the mayhem characteristic of those times.             

God entered the picture, along with spouse and pick-up basketball games.  Only one of the three would deal with ultimate meaning and purpose.  My relationship with God began to take on an importance that it deserved.  And I learned that maintaining a relationship requires some discipline.  I explored the classical disciplines.          

As I wound my way through college and higher education, I acquired more knowledge about spiritual discipline.  In fact I began to teach about them.  To this day I am still teaching a class called “Spiritual Disciplines.”  I acquaint students with the classical disciplines like prayer, meditating, fasting, etc.  They are tried and true…they still work.  But there are other disciplines.           

I am bumping into some of these other disciplines as I continue reading Barbara Brown Taylor’s book, An Altar in the World.  In the chapter I have just read, she focuses on the spiritual discipline of walking.  She entitles the chapter, “The Practice of Walking on the Earth.”  Again, I find it very interesting how she deals with this and opens it up for us who have not thought about walking as a spiritual discipline.  She begins by narrating a personal story about her husband and herself.           

The story is about a walk that she and her husband made one night when they we at a camp in North Carolina.  She described walking through a tree-lined canyon.  Neither she nor her husband could see a thing.  She describes the walk in a creative way.  “Pretty soon Ed and I were walking by faith and not by sight.”  I really like that way of talking about the walk.  And clearly, it has obvious connections to our spiritual journey---our spiritual walk.             

For the most part my spiritual walk has been “by faith” and not “by sight.”  I have never seen God in all the Divine Splendor.  It probably would be as God told Moses; no one could look directly at God and survive.  If you doubt it, try looking directly into the sun.  God’s light would be even more brilliant!           

As I understand them, the spiritual disciplines are aids that help us walk by faith.  For example, prayer is not some magical cantation automatically making God show up.  For me prayer is a communication.  It keeps the relationship connected and functional.  To pray to God is to “talk” with God.  It keeps us in touch.  As I read Taylor, I wondered if walking has a similar discipline function.  She helped me see that it might have.          

She is convinced walking can be a spiritual discipline.  She says, “All it takes is the decision to walk with some awareness, both of who you are and what you are doing.  Where you are going is not important…To detach the walking from the destination is in fact one of the best ways to recognize the altars you are passing right by all the time.”  She helps me see how I might add walking to my list of spiritual disciplines.           

I usually walk with awareness.  That is the first step.  However, I typically walk to get some place.  My walks almost always have a destination---to get there.  As a spiritual discipline, I will unhook the walking from the destination.  The journey becomes key.  Walking as a spiritual discipline will slow me down and open me up.  As I write that sentence, I realize how spiritually inducing it can be.  Slow down and open up. 
 
That will enable me to see the many altars around my world.  An altar marks the place where God shows up.  It might be an ocean beach or a mountain spot.  It could be a tree, a grove or a bush.  It might be my backyard or my backyard friend.  As a spiritual discipline walking is not is not meant to be useful; it is meant to be a spiritual connector.  I just might go for a walk!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri