Skip to main content

Spiritual Hesitancy

On my good days I like to think I am on a spiritual journey.  I feel more comfortable putting it this way, rather than saying I am spiritual.  Simply to say I am spiritual seems arrogant to me.  I would say that I know some people whom I consider to be spiritual.  I look at their lives and actions and it is a no-brainer.  I even know a couple folks who can be seen as spiritual masters.  I feel like I am on the other end.  Some days I feel engaged on the journey.  Other days I am not sure I have even begun.

Two elements are necessary for a consistent spiritual journey.  They are simple elements, but are necessary.  The first element is commitment.  Commitment includes the initial “yes” to a relationship with God.  And then it is locking in that “yes” in a daily living out of the relationship.  This is where the second element comes into the picture.  That element is discipline.  Discipline is the means by which we live out the “yes” in our daily lives.

When I do not feel like I am on a spiritual journey, I check these two elements.  I ask whether my commitment has waned?  Has it become lukewarm or half-hearted?  Do I need to re-commit?  Re-commitment is not an unusual step in long-term relationships. This would be true with people and, I’m confident, with God, too.  To re-commit should not be an embarrassment.  Rather it should be seen as a new opportunity.  To re-commit does not mean I have failed; it means I exercise my will to get back at it.  That’s good news!

Discipline is a very different category than commitment.  I think of commitment more like an event.  It is a decision.  It happens.  I do not get up every morning and decide whether to be committed to the people and things to which I was committed yesterday.  Typically, commitments are “made” and they stay that way.  Even if I begin to see a commitment wane, it usually does it over time.  Discipline for me often has to be re-decided.  I have long had the discipline to exercise---usually run.  But discipline does not mean I automatically do it.  I have to re-decide to do it today and will have to do it again tomorrow.

Discipline does not have to be hard.  But it does have to be consistent.  Perhaps that is where my discipline of exercise is different than my spiritual discipline.  For whatever reason, I have always felt like the physical exercise was easy.  Spiritual discipline has always required a higher level of intentionality.  I have to monitor that spiritual discipline.

I don’t think I am unusual.  Too often for Christians, spiritual can mean some beliefs.  I can say I believe in God or in Jesus.  Too many times, we assume belief is enough.  We get lazy in assuming if I believe correctly, then I have a relationship with God or Jesus.  That is all there is to it.  If I don’t change my belief, my relationship is intact and healthy.

As I type those last lines, I know that is not true.  Of course, I am not against beliefs.  But simply to believe in God does not make a relationship.  That is true of God and of other people.  A relationship is built on connection, experience, interaction, conversation, etc.  I don’t just believe in my daughters.  I have experiences, have conversations and so forth that make relationships.  The same is true for grandkids as they come along.  I don’t usually think about discipline in this case, but there is a form of discipline.  And that is grounded in my commitment to them.  

This leads me back to my spiritual journey.  I am confident I have the necessary commitment to God.  Perhaps it does not feel as easy as my daughters, but that is not surprising.  They are easier to see.  I have their cell numbers and can call them.  They use FaceTime to connect with me.  I can see grandkids dancing on my cell phone.  It is a bit tougher with God.  I don’t have God’s number!

That is precisely where discipline comes into the picture.  Because I don’t have the Divine cell number, I will need the discipline to practice the old, classic ways to touch base with God.  Ignorance is not my problem.  I know spiritual folks for centuries have found disciplines like prayer, meditation, study, etc. have proven to be effective means to sustain and deepen their spiritual commitment.

I know there is no other way.  As far as I know, God does not do FaceTime.  But God is available any time for what we might coin is HeartTime.  This is different than believing in God---as valuable as that can be.  I want to be less hesitant and more constant in my discipline.  Wanting to do it is the first step.  Putting it into practice is the next step.

I deal with my hesitancy by taking small steps into discipline.  Discipline does not have to be heroic.  Crawling is an acceptable form of moving for babies.  Almost never does the crawling stage get skipped by going straight to walking.  Maybe praying for five minutes is a spiritual crawl.  But it is movement.  Even if I hesitate, I can commit to five minutes.  I am back on the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri