Skip to main content

Build a Cathedral


In a recent reading for a class, I ran across a very interesting thought.  It caused me to step back and assess the work I do as well as how I go about doing the work.  The idea came toward the end of a book by Roger Walsh.  The book carries the title, Essential Spirituality.  In effect, it details how people can engage and practice the contemplative life.  The ideas that I really liked came in the section on service.

Listen to these words by Walsh.  “Do you want to kill time or build a cathedral, to see what you are doing as drudgery or contribution?  The crucial point is that we have a choice.  The same action can be seen in quite different ways because it is we who decide on the meaning and significance of what we do.”  The first line really engaged me.  I love the question: do you want to kill time or build a cathedral?  The answer was easy for me: build a cathedral, of course.  And that takes effort, takes patience, and doubtlessly, takes time.

It is this last piece that is key, namely, it takes time.  We usually have time.  And obviously we have to have time to kill it!  And yet I think about all the times I have heard people say that they had “some time to kill.”  I know I have used this line too many times.  I am going to swear off using it ever again.  To kill time typically means the present moment is unwanted.  We usually are killing time waiting for some more special time to arrive.  We kill time working so we can play later.  I would rather think about building a cathedral.

The last part of Walsh’s quotation only emphasizes our choice.  Do we want to see what we are doing as drudgery or contribution?  Again it is hard for me to imagine someone saying, “please give me drudgery and as much of drudgery as you can find!”  Once more, drudgery is a way of saying the present time stinks!  Usually we prefer doing nothing to doing something we deem to be drudgery.

Walsh thinks we have a choice.  I agree.  Our drudgery work might be seen differently.  We might be able to come to see it as a contribution.  I don’t think that is merely a slight of hand---or better, a slight of mind.  I think it is a change of perspective.  It is a re-orientation.  In spiritual terms, it might be the result of transformation.  Even though I am getting late in the autumn of my career, I think I will opt to build a cathedral.

It should be obvious that I am not going to become an engineer or construction worker.  It is too late to be an engineer.  I don’t want to go back to school and I might not be smart enough anyway.  And I doubt that I have the stamina to be a carpenter.  That is real work; I am not sure teaching is real work!  So surely, I have to understand “build a cathedral” in a metaphorical way.

I spend a fair amount of time in a classroom with students.  Maybe that is where my cathedral building is going to take place.  Let’s pursue that line of thinking.  Most students come into my class with little idea what spirituality is and, for sure, little idea how it applies to their lives.  They are unformed in that sense.  So the first step is much like the construction worker who sets about building a real cathedral.  First comes the foundation.

For the spiritual life, the foundation often is some basic understanding.  But spirituality is more than ideas.  It is practice.  It is experience.  It is one thing to have an idea of God.  It is a much different thing actually to experience that God---the living God.  That is my cathedral-building task.  I have to lay a foundation so that the spiritual life of the student will begin to take shape as surely as walls will begin to be formed on that actual cathedral.

The walls of a cathedral mark the inside and outside of the building.  But even more importantly---because it is a cathedral---the walls mark the line between the sacred and the secular.  Inside the cathedral one is in sacred space.  Step outside and one enters the secular world.  So it is with the student.  I have to help them build the walls of their cathedral-lives.  They will also need walls of demarcation.  I think of something like leading a moral life.  To do so is to participate in the sacred.  If I choose immorality, then I have chosen to be fully secular, or worse, profane.

A cathedral is usually majestic and awe-inspiring.  So should the cathedral building we do with students and other disciples be majestic and awe-inspiring.  We help them build a life that is majestic and awe-inspiring.  We certainly got it in historical people like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mother Teresa.  We all know quieter, more anonymous saints who were like cathedrals in our midst.

I like the vision and the challenge of becoming the person who can build cathedrals.  It will take time.  It demands time that should not be killed or wasted.  It will take effort, but the effort will lead to majesty and awe.  I hope I can do all this in my work with students and others.

And I hope in some small way I can keep working at my own life so that I, too, might become a cathedral.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri