Skip to main content

The Treasure of Friendship

One of the wonderful things about these meditative moments – or, devotionals, if you prefer, is the chance to take some time to be reflective about God’s pleasing presence in our world.  Hopefully, this reflective time leads us to be responsive to that inviting presence.

Recently, I had an occasion to cite Paul’s words that “we have this treasure in earthen vessels.” (II Cor. 4:7)  I find many folks know this verse, but often misuse it.  I am convinced Paul does not mean we have this treasure as a possession of our own.  Even more, I do not think he means that we deserve this treasure because of good works or being a good person.  All we have to do is finish the second half of the quotation to understand what Paul means by “having this treasure in earthen vessels.” 

Paul says “that we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us.”  So this treasure that we have is nothing more than a testimony to God’s great creative and caring power.  No reason for human pride here!  Humility is the order of the day.

Given that, we can reflect on what having this treasure does for us. One good option is to understand our treasure as our connection to the very Source of life itself.  I like the language of connection.  One of the best images for connection is friendship.

The most compelling words in the New Testament for me are those invitational words of Jesus, “I have called you friends.” (John 15:15)  I even like to personalize these words, “Jesus had called me a friend.”  Sometimes that is a challenge to accept.  Sometimes I don’t feel worthy.  Sometimes, I am neglectful of that “friendly” offer.  Sometimes, I am too proud to link my soul to another.  I cannot be friend and be selfish.  The other---the friend---also has a treasure in an earthen vessel.

This last line reminds me the Greek word in the New Testament for “friend” is one of three Greek words for “love.”  In fact, when Jesus calls us “friends,” he is actually calling us “lovers!”  Imagine that!  The call to friendship is always the invitation to love.  No boring gospel when seen this way!

I love the words of an ancient Chinese sage, Mencius, who said, “Friendship is one mind in two bodies.”  Our meditative time is our realization we can take on “the mind of Christ.”  To take on the mind of Christ in our bodies is to discover the treasure of friendship in our earthen vessels.

An extension of this wonder with Christ is to find the wonder of friendship with other Christians and then with other folks in general.  Let’s spread the wealth of our treasure and find someone to whom we can say, “I call you friend.”  Jesus encourages love.  Friendship is love.  Now friend, go and glow with the wealth of your treasure.  Blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri