Skip to main content

Flower Power

There they set, secretly waiting for their unsuspecting new owners, to come into the room for a celebration.  It was a vase containing two dozen roses.  I have seen better specimens of roses, but they would have to do.  Is that not the situation in life so often?  Whatever we have on hand in the moment has to do.  Every day is not a perfect day.  “Life has its ups and downs” goes the old saying.  It is actually true.           

I like celebrations whose sole purpose is to honor folks.  And it is fun to add something that is unexpected.  That is the purpose of the flowers.  Since so much of my life is still centered around students, the honored people were all students.  They have been in a special group that I teach.
           

I have come to know them very well.  They are not my own kids, but they are the next best thing.  I feel like they are “my own.”  Of course, that is not literally true.  I know they have their own parents.  I know they have their own best friends.  And they have a myriad of acquaintances with whom they associate.  Professors probably come fairly far down the line of “important people” in their lives.  But that’s as it should be.           

I realize the flowers---the roses---which each student would receive at the end of the ceremony will not last very long.  Roses do not have too much staying power after they are cut.  Of course, they are beautiful.  And in our society, roses are associated with love and care.  They have become powerful symbols.  And that’s exactly what I am counting on.  I am hopeful the students will powerfully be spoken to with that symbol.           

A symbol is something that is meant to convey meaning beyond itself.  A good example is the American flag.  On its literal level, the flag is nothing more than a piece of cloth with colors.  In that sense it is nothing more than a big towel or a small bedspread!  They are also pieces of cloth with color.  But the flag is obviously more than that.           

The flag becomes a symbol when it is invested with meaning.  In that sense, the flag points beyond itself.  It points to the founding of a nation.  It points to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and all that makes up “America.”  Americans are taught to “honor the flag.”  When we go to a sporting event, it is not unusual to have the national anthem played.  People stand.  Hats are removed.  People face the flag.  They are symbolic, reverential acts that “honor” who we are as Americans.  The flag, more than any other single symbol, says who we are.           

Do I think one puny rose given at the end of a little ceremony is going to carry that kind of symbolic weight with the students?  Of course not!  In fact, there is a high risk they will not even see the rose as a symbol.  It would be easy to dismiss as “a stupid flower” that will be discarded as soon as the student is out of sight.  I would not be surprised to see a dumped rose in some waste can.  But that’s ok.  I would understand.           

If I find a dumped rose, I will understand the flower either had no symbolic meaning or it had negative meaning.  In either case the flower should be dumped!  Let me explain.  The students came to this celebration to round off a semester’s experience.  I know full well it was their experience.  I cannot dictate what kind of experience they have to have.  So in some sense, we are celebrating my perception of the experience I hope they had.  And the rose, I hope, symbolizes things like beauty, love, care and good wishes for even more.           

If it symbolizes that deeper meaning, then that’s great.  If there is no deeper experience after a semester together, the flower will have little or no symbolic power.  It will have no purpose and should be dumped.  There will be no flower power.           

Then it hit me.  As an analogy, I see this as God’s story, too.  God has put us all in the world’s classroom, called “life.”  God is like a professor.  God teaches, offers lessons, and brings in outside teachers, like me, to help others learn spiritual lessons.  But God cannot dictate how all the world’s students will learn.             

Some of us are pretty good spiritual students.  We are aware.  We have learned to care.  We love each other and our neighbors.  The excellent students, like Mother Teresa, have even learned to love the enemy!  But there are the world’s classroom bullies.  Instead of loving, they make messes.             

Let’s assume God throws a celebration today.  We go into a room to gather with all our other spiritual classmates.  We don’t notice the jar of roses on the table.  But at the end of the ceremony, we are told to take a rose.  Hopefully my rose becomes an apt symbol for the beauty, love, and care to which I am committed to keep doing in my world so long as I live.  In fact, I realize that the literal flower is not the real deal.  Maybe the point is for me---me as a real person---to be symbolically “a rose.”  Maybe I am to be symbolically in the world---symbolizing God’s care, love and beauty.  Will I have flower power?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I-Thou Relationships

Those of us who have read theology or, perhaps, those who are people of faith and are old enough might well recognize this title as a reminder of the late Jewish philosopher and theologian, Martin Buber.   I remember reading Buber’s book, I and Thou , when I was in college in the 1960s.   It was already a famous book by then.   I am not sure I fully understood it, but that would not be the last time I read it.   It has been a while since I looked at the book.             Buber came up in a conversation with a friend who asked if I had seen the recent article by David Brooks?   I had not seen it, but when I was told about it, I knew I would quickly locate and read that piece.   I very much like what Brooks decides to write about and what he contributes to societal conversation.   I wish more people read him and took him seriously.             Brooks’ article focused on the 2016 contentious election.   He provocatively suggests, “Read Buber, Not the Polls!”   I think Brooks puts

Spiritual Commitment

I was reading along in a very nice little book and hit these lines about commitment.   The author, Mitch Albom, uses the voice of one of the main characters of his nonfiction book about faith to reflect on commitment.   The voice belongs to Albom’s old rabbi of the Jewish synagogue where he went until his college days.   The old rabbi, Albert Lewis, says “the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning.”    The rabbi continues in a way that surely would have many people saying, “Amen!”   About commitment he says, “I’m old enough when it used to be a positive.   A committed person was someone to be admired.   He was loyal and steady.   Now a commitment is something you avoid.   You don’t want to tie yourself down.”   I also think I am old enough to know that commitment was usually a positive word.   I can think of a range of situations in which commitment would have been seen to be positive.   For example, growing up was full of sports for me.   Commitment would have been presupposed t

Inward Journey and Outward Pilgrimage

There are so many different ways to think about the spiritual life.   And of course, in our country there are so many different variations of religious experiences.   There are liberals and conservatives.   There are fundamentalists and Pentecostals.   Besides the dizzying variety of Christian traditions, there are many different non-Christian traditions.   There are the major traditions, such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and so on.   There are the slightly more obscure traditions, such as Sikhism, Jainism, etc.   And then there are more fringe groups and, even, pseudo-religions.   There are defining doctrines and religious practices.   Some of these are specific to a particular tradition or a few traditions, such as the koan , which is used in Zen Buddhism for example.   Other defining doctrines or practices are common across the religious board.   Something like meditation would be a good example.   Christians meditate; Buddhists meditate.   And other groups practice this spiri